Solution of exact differential equation

In summary, the individual is struggling to understand a question on exact derivatives for an upcoming exam and has looked over notes and a solution for guidance. However, they are confused about why a part of the equation seems to have disappeared in the solution. They are seeking clarification in order to solve the question and are confident they could do so with a better understanding.
adam640
Hi, I'm looking at a past paper for an exam I have on Tuesday and I'm struggling to understand this question on exact derivatives.

Here is a link to the question: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/812/questiong.png/

I have looked over my notes for guidance and eventually turned to the solution in the hope that I could work backwards. However I do not understand why half of the equation seems to have disappeared?

Here is the first stage of the solution: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/221/solutionp1cvsg.png/

If anyone could help explain to me why this is the case it would be greatly appreciated. I am confident that I would be able to solve the question from here.

Thanks,

Adam

Physics news on Phys.org
It's just the product rule, where y is a function of x.

[tex]
\frac{d}{dx}(e^{3x}y) = 3e^{3x}y + e^{3x}\frac{dy}{dx}
[/tex]

What is a solution of an exact differential equation?

A solution of an exact differential equation is a function that satisfies the equation and its derivatives at every point in its domain.

How do you determine if a differential equation is exact?

To determine if a differential equation is exact, you must check if its coefficients satisfy the condition of equality between its mixed partial derivatives. If they do, the equation is exact.

What is the process for solving an exact differential equation?

The process for solving an exact differential equation involves first checking if it is exact, and then using a method called the "integrating factor" to find a solution. This involves finding a function that when multiplied to the equation, will make it exact and able to be integrated.

Can an exact differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, an exact differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the integrating factor used to solve the equation can have different forms, leading to different solutions.

Are there any applications of exact differential equations in real-world problems?

Yes, exact differential equations have many applications in physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model and solve problems related to rates of change, growth, and decay in various systems.