Solution of the Cauchy-Euler equation

• Thread starter Schmoozer
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the Cauchy-Euler equation and its solution, as well as the method of Variation of Parameters to find the second independent solution. The characteristic equation is also mentioned, along with a hint to use the transformation x=et. The conversation concludes with a discussion on how to use variation of parameters to find the second independent solution.
Schmoozer

Homework Statement

The Cauchy-Euler equation is:
x2y'+axy'+by=0
And has a solution of the form:
y1(x)=xm
Use the method of Variation of Parameters to show that the second independent solution
is:
y2(x)=xmln(x)

So that the overall solution is:
y(x)=[A+Bln(x)]xm
Hint: This equation suggests that the characteristic equation has two identical roots.

Hint: Use the following transformation:
x=et

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how to start this. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should start it by putting y=x^m into the original equation and then realizing you meant to say x^2*y''+a*x*y'+b*y=0. Then think about it again using the hints.

Ok, so:
m2+(a-1)m+b=0

So using variation of parameters the equation can be represented as:

[tex]{\lambda}^{2}+ \left( a-1 \right) \lambda+b=0[/tex]

and

[tex]\lambda=\mbox {{\tt `\&+-`}} \left( 1-a,\sqrt {1/2\, \left( a-1 \right) ^{2}-2\,b} \right)[/tex]?

I'm not sure if that latex stuff worked:

L2+(a-1)L+b=0

and

L=(1-a)(+/-)(((a-1)^2-4b)/2)1/2

Last edited:
In any event, let's say I now have:

u(x)=[c1+c2ln|x|]xm

or

u(x)=[c1+c2ln|x|]x-(a-1)/2

How do I use the variations of parameters to show the second independent solution:

y2=xmln(x)

Do you know what "variation of parameters" IS?

Since you already know that xm is a solution, try a solution of the form y= u(x)xm. Then y'= u' xm+ m u xm-1 and y"= u" xm+ 2m u' xm-1+ m(m-1)u xm. Put those into the equation and use the fact that xm itself satifies the equation.

No not really. I have notes on it buts I can't make heads or tails of it.

Where is the 'u' coming from?

Last edited:

What is the Cauchy-Euler equation?

The Cauchy-Euler equation is a second-order linear differential equation of the form x2y'' + axy' + by = 0 where a and b are constants. It is used to model a wide range of physical phenomena, such as oscillations and vibrations.

What is the solution to the Cauchy-Euler equation?

The solution to the Cauchy-Euler equation depends on the roots of the characteristic equation x2 + ax + b = 0. If the roots are real and distinct, the general solution is given by y(x) = c1xr1 + c2xr2 where c1 and c2 are arbitrary constants and r1 and r2 are the roots. If the roots are complex conjugates, the general solution is given by y(x) = c1xa+bi + c2xa-bi where a and b are the real and imaginary parts of the complex root, respectively.

What are the initial conditions for the Cauchy-Euler equation?

The initial conditions for the Cauchy-Euler equation are the values of the dependent variable and its first derivative at a given point, typically denoted by x = x0. These initial conditions are necessary to find the particular solution to the equation.

What is the relationship between the Cauchy-Euler equation and other differential equations?

The Cauchy-Euler equation is a special case of the more general Euler-Cauchy equation xny(n) + an-1xn-1y(n-1) + ... + a1xy' + a0y = 0. It is also closely related to the classical linear differential equation y'' + py' + qy = 0, where p and q are constants. The Cauchy-Euler equation can be transformed into this form by a simple change of variables.

What are some applications of the Cauchy-Euler equation?

The Cauchy-Euler equation is commonly used in physics and engineering to model systems that exhibit exponential growth or decay, such as radioactive decay or population growth. It is also used in mechanics to describe the motion of a damped harmonic oscillator. Additionally, it has applications in signal processing and control theory.