1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solution to nonhomogenous DE using Method of Undetermined Coefficients

1. Feb 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the general solution of the given differential equation:

y'' + 9y = (t^2)(e^3t) + 6

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I want to first find a particular solution using the method of undetermined coefficients, but I'm not sure what I should "guess" for the form of Y(t). I learned that if g(t) is some exponential function such as e^2t, then I should assume the form looks like Y(t) = Ae^2t, assuming no duplication with solution to the homogenous equation. This doesn't seem to be much harder, but the t^2 and the +6 is confusing me a bit. Any help for how I can get started? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In general, if the right hand side is a polynomial, you will require a polynomial of the same degree- but since the coefficients are unknown, even powers that do not appear in the right hand side may be required in the solution. Try [tex](At^2+ Bt+ C)e^{3t}[/tex]. For the constant "6" try a constant. You can do that separately using a solution of the form A, and then add them, or do them together with [tex](At^2+ Bt+ C)e^{3t}+ D[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook