Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solution to ordinary differential equation

1. Feb 19, 2010 #1
    why is the 4th order Runge -Kutta method widely used than the 2nd or 3rd,for
    solving ordinary differential equations?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2010 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Cost-effectiveness.

Although 2. and 3.order Runge-Kutta are quicker than 4th order, they are much less exact.

For orders higher than 4, those take too long time to compute.

On another note:

Although I won't vouch for at which order this will become significant, the upper limit of an approximate scheme in terms of exactness will be when the finite arithmetic of the computer starts messing with the answers we want.

4. Feb 19, 2010 #3
    so even if the involved differential equations contains different complex functions,
    due to greater accuracy ,the 4th order(RK) method is chosen.

5. Feb 25, 2010 #4
    I agree with you. Just that I never see RK3 formula in the literatures :wink:. Why is that so?

6. Feb 26, 2010 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Probably because R-K increases by two steps of accuracy each time.
    It's been a long time since I had a glancing look at the procedure, and have forgotten if 3.order r-k is even possible. :smile:
    What I remember is that r-k approximates changes due to the values of the derivatives by clever weighting of function values, using a nesting principle.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook