1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solution to system of differential equations

1. Apr 22, 2006 #1
    In order to find streamlines for vector field, we need to solve this system of differential equations:

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = -x+y+z[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = x-y+z[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{dz}{dt} = x+y-z[/tex]
    where
    [tex]x(0) = a[/tex]
    [tex]y(0) = b[/tex]
    [tex]z(0) = c[/tex]

I have used Mathematica in order to find solutions for these equations and it calculated the following:
    [tex]x = \frac{2a-b-c+ae^{3t}+be^{3t}+ce^{3t}}{3e^{2t}}[/tex]
    [tex]y = \frac{-a+2b-c+ae^{3t}+be^{3t}+ce^{3t}}{3e^{2t}}[/tex]
    [tex]z = \frac{-a-b+2c+ae^{3t}+be^{3t}+ce^{3t}}{3e^{2t}}[/tex]

it is, of course, right - I have check parametric plot and it is streamline, but I think how it came to that solution? Does anybody can explain how I can solve these equations (step-by-step would be very very helpful :roll: ) without using of Mathematica? I do not understand why there is [tex]3e^{2t}[/tex]?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2006 #2
    The simpliest solution can be found using Laplace transform. The system you mentioned can be rewriten in a matrix form as following:

[tex]\frac{{d\bar x}}{{dt}} = A\bar x[/tex]

where

[tex]\bar x = \left( {x,y,z} \right)[/tex]

Applying Laplace transform to the both sides of the equation yields:

[tex]s\bar x\left( s \right) - \bar x_0 = A\bar x\left( s \right)[/tex]

After rearranging and taking out the common terms you get:

[tex]\bar x\left( s \right) = \left( {sI - A} \right)^{ - 1} \bar x_0[/tex]

Last, you need to perform the inverse Laplace transform (this is where the [tex]3e^{2t}[/tex] is coming from):

[tex]\bar x\left( t \right) = L^{ - 1} \left\{ {\bar x\left( s \right)} \right\}[/tex]

4. Apr 22, 2006 #3
    As I understand we derive the matrix from the system, then we calculate det(A-xI) and we get cubic equation and then roots: 1, -2, -2 which are eigenvalues.

I got an equation: [tex]-x^3-3x^2+4 = 0[/tex] so roots are indeed: 1, -2, -2.

How to create eigenvectors? I belief that we need so called eigenvector to get linearly independent solutions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?