Solve cubic equations using neusis

• Thread starter GenePeer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cubic
In summary, the neusis construction consists of fitting a line element of given length between two given lines in such a way that the line element, or its extension, passes through a given point. This allows for the easy and fast solving of cubic equations, which straightedge and compass often fail to do.
GenePeer
[URL='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neusis_construction']Wikipedia[/URL] said:
The neusis construction (from Greek neuein = 'incline towards', plural: neuseis) consists of fitting a line element of given length (a) in between two given lines (l and m), in such a way that the line element, or its extension, passes through a given point P. That is, one end of the line element has to lie on l, the other end on m, while the line element is "inclined" towards P.
[URL='http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ConstructibleNumber.html']MathWorld[/URL] said:
A number which can be represented by a finite number of additions, subtractions, multiplications, divisions, and finite square root extractions of integers. Such numbers correspond to line segments which can be constructed using only straightedge and compass.

In an essence, using normal straightedge and compass construction, we can add, subtract, multiply, divide and find a square root. This means that we can find the real roots of a quadratic equation with rational coefficients because the quadratic formula consists of only these operations. The easy and fast way to do this would be http://www.concentric.net/~pvb/ALG/rightpaths.html" .

We can also deduce that we can't solve cubic equations because the cubic formula also includes finding a cubic root. However, with neusis construction we can find the real roots of cubic equations because it can find a cube root. Does anyone know how we could solve the general cubic equation using neusis? Preferably an extension to Lill's Method.

PS: This was my topic for my http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_essay" , and I've already handed it in. This is just further (personal) research.

JPM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In my paper I showed how one could solve cubic equations of specific forms like
[tex]a_{3}x^{3}+a_{2}x^{2}+a_0=0[/tex] or [tex]a_{3}x^{3}+a_{1}x+a_0=0[/tex]
which I had to figure out on my own. The only help I got on the internet is finding the cube root (simplest cubic equation). Then I went on to show why neusis should be capable of solving cubic equation where straightedge and compass fail; My first post is basically a summary of that.

I guess I picked a topic people barely investigated. What's really annoying is that neusis is equivalent to origami (art of paper folding), and there are plenty of articles describing how to solve the general cubic equations (even Quartic equations) with origami, but barely any for neusis. I'll look further into after I finish my exams; Life's to hectic now with the final exams on November.

1. How do I solve cubic equations using neusis?

To solve cubic equations using neusis, you will need a straight edge and a compass. First, construct the line segment AB of length a, where a is the coefficient of the cubic term. Then, construct the line segment BC of length b, where b is the coefficient of the quadratic term. Next, construct the line segment CD of length c, where c is the constant term. Finally, construct a line through point D parallel to line segment AB. The point of intersection between this line and the original line segment AB will be the solution to the cubic equation.

2. What is neusis in mathematics?

Neusis is a geometric method of solving equations using only a straight edge and a compass. It involves constructing line segments of specific lengths and using them to find solutions to mathematical problems.

3. Can any cubic equation be solved using neusis?

No, not all cubic equations can be solved using neusis. The equation needs to have specific coefficients that can be represented by line segments of equal length. Additionally, the solution may involve complex numbers if the equation has complex solutions.

4. What is the history of neusis in mathematics?

Neusis was first introduced by the ancient Greek mathematician Archimedes in his work "On the Equilibrium of Planes." It was later used by other ancient mathematicians, such as Euclid and Pappus, and was also studied by Renaissance mathematicians such as Galileo and Descartes.

5. Are there any other methods to solve cubic equations besides neusis?

Yes, there are other methods to solve cubic equations, such as the cubic formula and the Cardano's method. However, neusis is unique in that it only requires a straight edge and compass, making it a simpler and more accessible method for solving equations.