Solving Cubic Equation: x^3 - kx + (k + 11) = 0

• MHB
  • Thread starter Taran1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cubic
In summary, the question is asking to find all integer values of k for which the cubic equation x^3 - kx + (k + 11) = 0 has at least one positive integer solution for x. By setting x = n as a positive integer solution, it can be shown that k = n^2+n+1 + 12/(n-1). To find integer values for k, (n-1) must be a factor of 12. By tabulating the possible values of n and k, we find that the only possible values for k are 19, 25, 34, 59, and 184. This agrees with the condition that k>17.
Taran1
Hi, this question was in a year 11 extension maths textbook in the enrichment section. I have the answer as k>17 and k<-11 because I graphed it on GeoGebra. The Graph can be found here: https://ggbm.at/xpegwwtq. While I know the answers I would like to know how to work it out using algebra.

Here is the Question:
Consider the cubic equation x^3 - kx + (k + 11) = 0, find all the integer values of k for which the equation has at least one positive integer solution for x

Thanks, Taran

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Taran said:
Hi, this question was in a year 11 extension maths textbook in the enrichment section. I have the answer as k>17 and k<-11 because I graphed it on GeoGebra. The Graph can be found here: https://ggbm.at/xpegwwtq. While I know the answers I would like to know how to work it out using algebra.

Here is the Question:
Consider the cubic equation x^3 - kx + (k + 11) = 0, find all the integer values of k for which the equation has at least one positive integer solution for x

Thanks, Taran
Hi Taran, and welcome to MHB.

If $x=n$ is a positive integer solution of the equation, then $n^3 - kn + k + 11 = 0$, so that $$k = \frac{n^3+11}{n-1} = \frac{(n-1)(n^2+n+1) + 12}{n-1} = n^2+n+1 + \frac{12}{n-1}.$$ For that to be an integer, $n-1$ must be a factor of $12$. You can then tabulate the possible values of $n$ and $k = \frac{n^3+11}{n-1}$, as follows: $$ \begin{array}{c|cccccc} n-1&1&2&3&4&6&12 \\ n&2&3&4&5&7&13 \\ k&19&19&25&34&59&184 \end{array}.$$ So the only possible values for $k$ are $19,\ 25,\ 34,\ 59,\ 184$ (which all agree with your condition that $k>17$).

Last edited:
Opalg said:
Hi Taran, and welcome to MHB.

If $x=n$ is a positive integer solution of the equation, then $n^3 - kn + k + 11 = 0$, so that $$k = \frac{n^3+11}{n-1} = \frac{(n-1)(n^2+n+1) + 12}{n-1} = n^2+n+1 + \frac{12}{n-1}.$$ For that to be an integer, $n-1$ must be a factor of $12$. You can then tabulate the possible values of $n$ and $k = \frac{n^3+11}{n-1}$, as follows: $$ \begin{array}{c|cccccc} n-1&1&2&3&4&6&12 \\ n&2&3&4&5&7&13 \\ k&19&19&25&34&59&184 \end{array}.$$ So the only possible values for $k$ are $19,\ 25,\ 34,\ 59,\ 184$ (which all agree with your condition that $k>17$).

Hello, Chris! (Wave)

This question was posted on another site, and I found your reply so insightful, I took the liberty of posting it there, for the benefit of several there trying to solve it. :)

Hi, Thank you so much! This question had my class stumped. That answer makes so much sense. It's been bugging me for a while and I'm very thankful for your help.

Thanks again, Taran

What is a cubic equation?

A cubic equation is a polynomial equation of the form ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = 0, where a, b, c, and d are constants and x is the variable. It is called a cubic equation because the highest power of x is 3.

How do you solve a cubic equation?

To solve a cubic equation, you can use a variety of methods such as the Rational Root Theorem, the Factor Theorem, or the Cardano's method. These methods involve finding the roots or solutions of the equation, which are the values of x that make the equation equal to 0.

What is the specific cubic equation in this problem?

The specific cubic equation in this problem is x^3 - kx + (k + 11) = 0. This equation is in standard form, with a = 1, b = -k, c = 0, and d = k + 11.

What is the significance of the constant k in this equation?

The constant k in this equation represents the coefficient of the x term. It affects the shape and position of the graph of the cubic equation and determines the number of real roots the equation has. The value of k also determines the specific values of x that are solutions to the equation.

How many solutions does this cubic equation have?

This cubic equation has three solutions or roots, as indicated by the exponent of x being 3. However, the number of real solutions may vary depending on the value of k. There may be one, two, or three real solutions, or no real solutions at all.