Solve for a,b,c,d Solve \frac{f(-1)+f(1)}{2}=f(0) for a, b, c, d

• MHB
  • Thread starter Bushy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, if a cubic function y=f(x) has three points A, B, and C lying on a straight line with coordinates (-p,f(-p)), (0,f(0)), and (p,f(p)) where p is a non-zero constant, then \frac{f(-p)+f(p)}{2}=f(0). Additionally, if p=1 and f(x)=ax^3+bx^2+cx+d, then b=0 and \frac{f(-x)+f(x)}{2}=f(0).
Bushy
For a cubic function \(\displaystyle y=f(x)\) three points A, B and C lie on a straight line with respective coordinates (-p,f(p)),(0,f(0)) and (p,f(p)) where p is a non zero constant.

a. Show that \(\displaystyle \frac{f(-p)+f(p)}{2} =f(0)\)

I tried

\(\displaystyle \frac{f(-p)+f(p)}{2} =\frac{0}{2} = 0 = f(0)\)

That doesn't seem right

b. Let p =1 and \(\displaystyle f(x) = ax^3+bx^2+cx+d \)

i. Show that b=0

ii. hence \(\displaystyle \frac{f(-x)+f(x)}{2}=f(0)\)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think you meant to give the coordinates of $A,\,B,\,C$ as $(-p,f(-p)),\,(0,f(0)),\,(p,f(p))$. If the 3 points are collinear, then we can write:

\(\displaystyle f(\pm p)=f(0)\pm k\)

Let's let:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=ax^3+bx^2+cx+d\)

So, we find that:

\(\displaystyle f(0)=d\)

And then we must have:

\(\displaystyle ap^3+bp^2+cp=k\)

\(\displaystyle -ap^3+bp^2-cp=-k\)

Adding these two equations, we find:

\(\displaystyle b=0\)

And so:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=ax^3+cx+d\)

Then we find:

\(\displaystyle \frac{f(-x)+f(x)}{2}=d=f(0)\)

1. What is the equation asking me to solve for?

This equation is asking you to solve for the values of a, b, c, and d in the function f(x) that satisfy the given equation.

2. How do I solve for four variables in one equation?

In order to solve for four variables in one equation, you will need to use algebraic methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing to determine the values that satisfy the equation.

3. What is the significance of the given equation?

The given equation represents the average value of the function f(x) at three points: x = -1, x = 0, and x = 1. This can be useful in understanding the behavior of the function and making predictions about its values at other points.

4. Can I solve this equation without knowing the function f(x)?

Yes, it is possible to solve this equation without knowing the specific function f(x). However, you will need to have some knowledge of algebra and mathematical concepts in order to solve for the values of a, b, c, and d.

5. What are the potential solutions for a, b, c, and d?

The solutions for a, b, c, and d can vary depending on the given function f(x). In general, there can be multiple solutions or no solutions at all. It is important to carefully analyze the given equation and use algebraic methods to determine the correct values.