Solve for Req with T to Delta Transform

In summary, "Solve for Req with T to Delta Transform" is a method used to transform a T configuration circuit to a Delta configuration, simplifying calculations of the equivalent resistance. It is useful in circuit analysis and design, and works by replacing three resistors in a T shape with three resistors in a Delta shape. However, it can only be used for linear circuits and has limitations with dependent sources and non-linear elements.
zr95

Homework Statement

Find Req in the given circuit
upload_2016-9-26_13-10-23.png

Homework Equations

Series: req = r1+r2...
parallel: 1/req = 1/r1 + 1/r2 ...

The Attempt at a Solution

Without redrawing the circuit I do:
12||60 = 10
10+20 = 30
30 || 30 = 15
15+10 = 25
25||25 = 12.5
12.5+15+5 = 32.5 = Req
This is the correct answer.

upload_2016-9-26_13-10-3.png

However if I redrew the T to a delta I no longer can get the right answer.
108 || 0 = 0
(36 || 30) || (180 || 10) = 6
6||25...
and so on

Where am I going wrong in my logic? Am I not allowed to do this sort of transformation on this problem?

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-26_13-9-38.png
    upload_2016-9-26_13-9-38.png
    76.5 KB · Views: 422
Physics news on Phys.org
zr95 said:
(36 || 30) || (180 || 10) = 6

Why is the 180 in parallel with the 10?

I completely looked over the 25 ohm resistor when I did that. Thanks.

1. What is "Solve for Req with T to Delta Transform"?

"Solve for Req with T to Delta Transform" is a mathematical method used to transform a given circuit from a T configuration to a Delta configuration in order to simplify calculations of the equivalent resistance (Req). This is commonly used in circuit analysis and design.

2. Why is "Solve for Req with T to Delta Transform" useful?

This method is useful because it allows for easier and more efficient calculation of the equivalent resistance of a circuit, which is a crucial component in understanding and designing electrical systems. It also helps in simplifying complex circuits, making them easier to analyze.

3. How does the T to Delta Transform work?

The T to Delta Transform involves replacing three resistors connected in a T shape with three resistors connected in a Delta shape. The resistance values of the new resistors are calculated using a specific formula, which is based on the values of the original resistors. This results in a simplified circuit with a new value for Req.

4. Can the T to Delta Transform be used for any circuit?

No, the T to Delta Transform is only applicable to circuits with three resistors connected in a T shape. It cannot be used for circuits with a different number or arrangement of resistors.

5. Are there any limitations to using the T to Delta Transform?

Yes, there are some limitations to this method. It can only be used for linear circuits, meaning circuits with resistors and other components that follow Ohm's Law. It also cannot be used for circuits with dependent sources or non-linear elements.