1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Req - Understanding Professor's Solution

1. Sep 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2016-9-25_14-53-41.png

2. Relevant equations
    Series: Req = r1 + r2...
    Parallel: 1/req = 1/r1 + 1/r2...

3. The attempt at a solution
    upload_2016-9-25_14-53-26.png
    This is my professors solution for the problem and of course without any explanation it doesn't make sense to me. Under what principle can he justify immediately adding 10 + 8?

upload_2016-9-25_14-56-38.png
    For my solution I redrew the circuit and did:
    5||20 = 4
    10+4 = 14

3 || 6 = 2
    2+8 = 10

10+14 = 24

Another question: Had I not redrawn the circuit I still would've gotten 14 and 10 but I would've thought they would be in parallel with each other with the way its drawn out?

I understand redrawing it is the easiest way to make sure I have it correct but there won't be enough time unless I immediately recognize what it looks like.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Is there any path that you can draw between a and b (following circuit pathways of course) that does not pass through both the 10 and 8 Ohm resistors? If not, they must be in series between a and b.

The trick is to look at the nodes that are bridged by a short circuit. In this circuit nodes c and f are connected together via a wire. That means you are free to move all the connections at one of those nodes to the other node. Symmetry also helps here, as you can put nodes c and f together by "folding" the circuit along a line passing through d-a-b-e. Once you make that fold you've got your parallel resistor connections that you and your professor found, while the two series resistors are left at the fold.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted