1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve for Equivalent Resistance - Resistor is shorted?

1. Sep 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm studying for a test and since this is technically a textbook problem I figured I'd post here to prevent being flagged.
    upload_2016-9-25_14-6-36.png
    I have the circuit redrawn.
    upload_2016-9-25_14-3-32.png

2. Relevant equations
    Series: Req = R1+R2...
    Parallel: 1/Req= 1/R1 + 1/R2...

3. The attempt at a solution
    I want to understand why when solving this circuit for Req it is (3 || 30) || 7.5 = 2ohms.
    According to the solution I'm looking at the 75 ohm resistor is considered a short and no current flows across this? I don't understand why this is the case.

Also I was originally trying to be lazy and solve and just add things up without redrawing the circuit and ended up with 2ohms by doing:
    ((5||20)+2)||3 = 2ohms
    Was this just coincidence?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2016 #2
    That is because the 75 ohm "resistor" is connected in parallel with a zero resistance piece of wire.

Nope, its not a coincidence - if you deform the circuit, your consideration is correct.

4. Sep 25, 2016 #3
    You da man. That makes a lot of sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted