Finding theta in 160cosθ/cos40° + 160sinθ - 200 = 0

  • Thread starter Thread starter caljuice
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Theta
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
caljuice
Messages
70
Reaction score
0
http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/6/8/e/231110/q-0.jpg

I can't find theta. Anyone help me out here?

x=theta

I've tried making Fab=(160cosx)/cos40

Then plugging it in into the second equation, we get

160cosxtan40+160sinx-200=0

160(cosxtan40+sinx)=200

cosxtan40+sinx=1.25

Is there a trig identity here? Far as I can get.

I also tried
cosx=(Fabcos40)/160
sinx=200-(Fabsin40)

Then tanx= [200/(Fabsin40)]-tan40, but no way to eliminate Fab. Or at least I can't.

Thanks in advance.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org


Maybe it's just me, but I cannot see an image at the link you provided.
 


nope you're right, looks like they took down the image. But fixed!
 


caljuice said:
nope you're right, looks like they took down the image. But fixed!
I now see a bunch of equations, but no figure to relate them to.
 


Oh, I'm just wondering how to solve theta from those 2 equations. Didn't think a diagram was needed.
 


If the equations are correct, then this is what you do. Solve each equation for the unknown trig function. You will bet

sinθ = A
cosθ = B
where A and B are numbers you can calculate. Divide the top by the bottom to get

tanθ = A/B. From this get the angle.
 


Sorry, I actually put in a divide sign instead of a minus for sinx, not sure how i missed it.

sinx=200-(Fabsin40)
 


caljuice said:
Sorry, I actually put in a divide sign instead of a minus for sinx, not sure how i missed it.

sinx=200-(Fabsin40)

It makes no difference. The method is the same.