Solve for x in the denominator of the fraction

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter mathlearn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Fraction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
mathlearn
Messages
331
Reaction score
0
View attachment 5788

In this I think you should cross multiply ; I got 1/2 by doing so and I am not sure whether it is correct.Can you help me to solve this and be kind enough to explain your steps a little. :)
 
Attachments
  • Capturefrac.PNG
    Capturefrac.PNG
    710 bytes · Views: 136
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Combine terms on the left:

$$\frac{7}{x}=14$$

Divide through by 7:

$$\frac{1}{x}=2$$

Invert both sides:

$$x=\frac{1}{2}$$ :)
 
mathlearn said:
In this I think you should cross multiply ; I got 1/2 by doing so and I am not sure whether it is correct.Can you help me to solve this and be kind enough to explain your steps a little. :)

We cross-multiply when we replace the division symbol with multiplication symbol.

In this case we have addition, where we make denominators equal (and do not cross-multiply).

Main help is already provided by MarkFL.