How can I solve for x in a polynomial equation with the help of a tutor?

• Thread starter aisha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary, the student is struggling to solve a polynomial equation with a tutor's help. They were able to get x=0 as an answer, but it was incorrect. The student is looking for help in finding the correct answers of -2 and \frac {-1\pm\sqrt{3i}} {2}. Different methods are suggested, including factoring and using the formula for cubic roots. The student eventually gets the correct answers with the help of others.
aisha
Hi i need some help solving this polynomail a tutor helped me with this question getting x=0 but this answer was not correct can someone else please help me out?

The question is
[tex] 5(x+1)^3=-5 [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Mmmh, divide by 5 on each side.

I already did it that way and then solved for x but that answer was wrong. x does not equal 0 in my textbook it says the answers are -2 and [tex] \frac {-1\pm\sqrt{3i}} {2} [/tex] i don't know how to get this answer can some1 please help me immediately!:cry:

Last edited:
I tought you were only looking for the real part. I can't help you with the imaginary roots, sorry.

Start by dividing by 5.

The problem is that it's not easy to find solutions to a polynomial when it's equal to, say, -1, but it's relatively very easy to find roots when the polynomial equals 0. So - multiply out the (x + 1)^3, move the -1 over to the left-hand side, and start factoring. Since you know what the roots are already, it should be easy to see that you'll have one linear factor and one quadratic one, so factoring the resulting cubic should be a snap.

aisha said:
I already did it that way and then solved for x but that answer was wrong. x does not equal 0 in my textbook it says the answers are -2 and [tex] \frac {-1\pm\sqrt{3i}} {2} [/tex] i don't know how to get this answer can some1 please help me immediately!:cry:
Aisha - how did your tutor get x=0 ?
Could not s/he plug 0 in original equation and see that it does not work?
Maybe it's time to find a more experienced tutor. :uhh:
(x+1)3 = -1
If you want you can substitute another variable (say, t) for (x+1).
t3 = -1
What's a real number "t" that's a cubic root of -1?
What's x now?
How about finding remaining complex roots?
Another way (as Diane_ suggested)
move the -1 over to the left-hand side, and start factoring
but do it for "t" instead, using formula
a3 + b3 = ?
After you cross all "t"s go back to
t = x +1, and determine corresponding "x"s with and/or without dotted "i"s.

Last edited:
thank u, i got it...thnx for the help

What is a polynomial equation?

A polynomial equation is an algebraic expression that contains one or more terms, consisting of variables and coefficients, combined using addition, subtraction, multiplication, and non-negative integer exponents.

What does it mean to "solve for x" in a polynomial equation?

Solving for x in a polynomial equation means finding the value or values of the variable x that make the equation true. This is done by simplifying the equation and isolating the variable on one side of the equal sign.

How do you solve for x in a polynomial equation?

To solve for x in a polynomial equation, start by simplifying the equation by combining like terms. Then, use the appropriate algebraic operations to isolate the variable on one side of the equal sign. Finally, solve for x by applying the inverse operation to both sides of the equation.

What are the different methods for solving polynomial equations?

There are several methods for solving polynomial equations, including factoring, completing the square, using the quadratic formula, and graphing. The method used will depend on the type and complexity of the equation.

Can a polynomial equation have more than one solution for x?

Yes, a polynomial equation can have more than one solution for x. This is known as a polynomial with multiple roots. The number of solutions will depend on the degree of the polynomial and the number and type of factors it has.