Solve Gas Law Problem: Find Average Kinetic Energies of CH4 & N2

In summary, the conversation is about a gas law problem where the task is to calculate the average kinetic energies of CH4 and N2 molecules at two different temperatures. The person asking for help has tried multiple equations but has not been able to get the correct answer and is feeling frustrated. They have received some hints from others but ultimately figure out the solution on their own.
ironizer
Gas Law problem... please help

Calculate the average kinetic energies of the CH4 and N2 molecules at 294 K and 574 K.

I've tried every possible way I could think of. I can't get the right answer. I don't know what equation to use anymore, I've done it all and nothing works.

I got all these answers:

4.06e-21
J/molecule 3 sig figs
And none of them are good. I'm getting annoyied, someone give me a hint please. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

What equations have you tried to use?

KE= 3/2 RT

sqrt[3RT/M]

and KE=(3/2)RT/avo's number

Thank-you all for the help.

I figured it out myself.

Sorry, somehow I missed your previous answer :frown:

Related to Solve Gas Law Problem: Find Average Kinetic Energies of CH4 & N2

1. What is the formula for calculating average kinetic energy in gas law problems?

The formula for calculating average kinetic energy in gas law problems is KE = (3/2) RT, where KE is the kinetic energy, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

2. How do you find the average kinetic energy of a gas in a mixture of gases?

To find the average kinetic energy of a gas in a mixture of gases, you will need to use the mole fraction of that gas in the mixture. Multiply the mole fraction by the total kinetic energy of the mixture to find the average kinetic energy of the specific gas.

3. Can the average kinetic energy of a gas change?

Yes, the average kinetic energy of a gas can change. It is directly proportional to the temperature of the gas, so as the temperature increases, so does the average kinetic energy.

4. How does the average kinetic energy of CH4 compare to N2 at the same temperature?

The average kinetic energy of CH4 will be higher than that of N2 at the same temperature. This is because CH4 has a smaller molar mass compared to N2, meaning it will have a higher average speed and therefore, a higher average kinetic energy.

5. What units should the temperature be in when using the formula for average kinetic energy?

The temperature should always be in Kelvin when using the formula for average kinetic energy. If the temperature is given in Celsius, it must be converted to Kelvin by adding 273.15 to the Celsius temperature.