Angle of sunlight entering water with n=1.33

  • Thread starter Thread starter JDiorio
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Light Refraction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
JDiorio
Messages
25
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


An underwater swimmer observes that a beam of sunlight in the water makes an angle of 18.7° with the vertical. The index of refraction for water is equal to 1.33. Assuming the surface of the water is level, determine the beam's angle as it enters the water.


Homework Equations



n1sin(theta1)=n2sin(theta2)


The Attempt at a Solution



I tried using different angles but I can't seem to get the correct answer. At first I used 18.7 degrees and found that to be incorrect. Than I thought that 18.7 might not correspond since it is made with the vertical and not the horizontal, so I used 90-18.7= 71.3 degrees but that didnt work either. I am not sure if I am using the wrong equation or if I am misreading the question.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind I found my mistake. I didn't realize the 18.7 degree angle was after it already was in the water. Thanks anyway.