Solve Limit at Infinity Problem: Tips & Help

In summary, the limit problem given is$$\lim_{n\to \infty}\left(1+\frac{3n-1}{n^2+1}\right)^{\!\!2n+3}$$and to solve it, we can rewrite the exponent $2n+3$ as $\frac{(2n+3)(3n-1)}{3n-1}$ and then break the limit into two parts. The first part, involving the fraction $\frac{n^2+1}{3n-1}$, approaches $1$ and the second part approaches $e^6$. This leads to the final solution of $e^6$.
Alexstrasuz1
Hi, I've been doing limit problems, and just got to this problem and I can't solve it. I would love some tips; you don't have to solve my problem.
Screenshot by Lightshot

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What is the $2n+3$ doing? Your formatting is a bit weird. Is the limit
$$\lim_{n\to \infty}\left(1+\frac{3n-1}{n^2+1}\right)^{\!\!2n+3}?$$

Im supposed to get it to this lim(1+1/n)^n=e

I suggest the following:

Rewrite the exponent $2n+3$ as follows
$$\frac{(2n+3)(3n-1)}{3n-1} = \frac{6n^2+7n-3}{3n-1} = \frac{6(n^2+1)}{3n-1}+\frac{7n-9}{3n-1}$$

Then we can write the limit as
$$\displaystyle \left[\lim_{n \to \infty} \left(1+\frac{1}{\frac{n^2+1}{3n-1}}\right)^{\frac{6(n^2+1)}{3n-1}}\right]\left[\lim_{n \to \infty} \left(1+\frac{1}{\frac{n^2+1}{3n-1}}\right)^{\frac{7n-9}{3n-1}}\right]$$

The left limit is equal to $e^6$, the right limit is equal to $1$. Hence the solution is $e^6$.

I solved it by dividing fraction by n and got 3/n and then just did some standard work and got e6

Siron said:
$$\displaystyle \left[\lim_{n \to \infty} \left(1+\frac{1}{\frac{n^2+1}{3n-1}}\right)^{\frac{6(n^2+1)}{3n-1}}\right]\left[\lim_{n \to \infty} \left(1+\frac{1}{\frac{n^2+1}{3n-1}}\right)^{\frac{7n-9}{3n-1}}\right]$$

The left limit is equal to $e^6$, the right limit is equal to $1$. Hence the solution is $e^6$.
In regard to the second factor, I can intuitively understand what you did, but Mathematically I am lost. How did you know the limit of the second factor is 1?

-Dan

topsquark said:
In regard to the second factor, I can intuitively understand what you did, but Mathematically I am lost. How did you know the limit of the second factor is 1?

-Dan

As $n\to\infty$, the base goes to $1$ and the exponent goes to a finite value (7/3) so we have a determinate form of $1$. :D

Ah! The little details! Thanks. :)

-Dan

Hey I solved this on my way and today I showed it to my teacher and she said it isn't right way to solve it even I got the same result
I divided 3n-1/n^2+1 with n so I got 3/n and I wrote it as 1/n/3 and put that n/3=t where n=3t and I got in exponent 6t+3 and got that e^6.

Alexstrasuz said:
Hey I solved this on my way and today I showed it to my teacher and she said it isn't right way to solve it even I got the same result
I divided 3n-1/n^2+1 with n so I got 3/n and I wrote it as 1/n/3 and put that n/3=t where n=3t and I got in exponent 6t+3 and got that e^6.

If I understand you correctly, you mean:
$$\frac{3n-1}{n^2+1} \frac{1}{n} = \frac{3}{n}?$$
The only thing you could do is to divide the numerator and denominator by $n$ but I don't see how that could lead to a solution.

Related to Solve Limit at Infinity Problem: Tips & Help

1. What is a limit at infinity problem?

A limit at infinity problem is a mathematical concept that involves finding the value that a function approaches as its input variable approaches infinity. It is often used to describe the behavior of a function as the input variable becomes infinitely large.

2. How do I solve a limit at infinity problem?

To solve a limit at infinity problem, you can use several methods including algebraic manipulation, graphing, or using the limit laws. It is important to understand the properties and rules of limits in order to successfully solve these types of problems.

3. What are some tips for solving limit at infinity problems?

Some tips for solving limit at infinity problems include: factoring the expression, simplifying the expression using algebraic rules, and using the limit laws to simplify the expression. It is also helpful to graph the function to visualize its behavior as the input variable approaches infinity.

4. Why are limit at infinity problems important?

Limit at infinity problems are important because they help us understand the behavior of a function as the input variable becomes infinitely large. This can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving limit at infinity problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving limit at infinity problems include: forgetting to check for any indeterminate forms, not using algebraic rules correctly, and not considering the limit laws. It is also important to carefully evaluate the expression and check for any possible errors.