Solve Log Values Problem: Find A and B for \frac{Log A}{Log B} = \frac{2}{3}

  • Thread starter Thread starter yoleven
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Log
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
yoleven
Messages
78
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


A professor is doing a problem on the black board and ends up with the expression

[tex]\frac{Log A}{Log B}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{2}{3}[/tex]
.

He absentmindedly cancels the “log”, making the left-hand side A/B. (A very wrong thing to do!)
Luckily, he ends up with the correct values for A and B. What are these values?


The Attempt at a Solution



I wasn't sure what to do here. I figured 2/3 is .667

from the question I have Log A- Log B= .667
I set A to be equal to 10 which gives me a value of 1, then Log B would equal .333 because 1-.667 =.333

raising both sides to be powers of ten, I get B= 10.333
which is 2.15

This works except if the proffessor "cancelled the Log) Then 10/2.15 obviously isn't 2/3.
What should I do here?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can't just set A to be equal to 10. You have two equations

[tex]\frac{logA}{logB}=\frac{2}{3}[/tex] is one of them. Also, [tex]\frac{A}{B}=\frac{2}{3}[/tex] is another. You have to use both of them to solve for A and B
 
You have an error in your work: (log A)/(log B) != log A - log B. What is true is the log(A/B) = log A - log B.

There are two equations to work with:
A/B = 2/3, and
(log A)/(log B) = 2/3

Solve for one variable in the first equation, and substitute for it in the second equation.
 
Okay. Here is what I have..

[tex]\frac{log A}{log B}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{2}{3}[/tex]

3 log A = 2 log B

log A3 =log B2

log A3- log B2 = 0

log [tex]\frac{A^3}{B^2}[/tex] = 0

[tex]\frac{A^3}{B^2}[/tex] = 1

A3 = B2

from the question, we know that [tex]\frac{A}{B}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{2}{3}[/tex]

B = [tex]\frac{3}{2}[/tex] A

([tex]\frac{3}{2}[/tex]A)2 =A3

[tex]\frac{9}{4}[/tex] A2 =A3

A= [tex]\frac{9}{4}[/tex]

B= [tex]\frac{3}{2}[/tex] x [tex]\frac{9}{4}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{27}{8}[/tex]

Thanks for your input.