1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve math equation without assumptions

1. Mar 6, 2006 #1
    One mathematical sum is harassing me since a few days the problem is;:-
    a^2+b^2=25 and a^3+b^3=91. find the value of a and b.
    Now here we cannot take that into consoderation that as a^2+b^2=25 , a=3 and b=4. But we have to find the answer without any assumtions.May i please get the answer as soon as possible

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2006 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In which set of numbers do you search the solution to your system of equations...?

Daniel.

P.S. This is NOT "Advanced Physics".

4. Mar 6, 2006 #3
    Forget the location. Let me help you.
    a^3 + b^3 = (a+b)(25-ab)
    Put a + b = x.
    Then ab = [(a+b)^2 - (a^2 + b^2)]/2 = (x^2 - 25)/2

5. Mar 7, 2006 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't really help. A solution is to reduce everything to a 6-th order algebraic equation (either in "a" or in "b") to which you know that 3 and 4 are solutions. You can reduce the degree to 4 then and to a 4-th order algebraic equation, the exact solutions do exist. All 4 of them are complex (with nonzero imaginary part)...

That's why i asked about the set in which you want to determine the solutions...

Daniel.

6. Mar 7, 2006 #5

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just guess! There are only a few numbers that a and b even have a chance of being. In fact, there is really only one pair of numbers that could work.

7. Mar 7, 2006 #6

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Why do I hate people who double post so much!!! :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy:
    Why must you post one problem in two different threads in only one board??? Why???
    Maths factorization problem!!!
    In fact, it can be reduced to a cubic equation. :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?