Solve problems with limits or ?

• Thread starter prehisto
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
That's not possible, because both terms are positive.The problem as I have written it above is at least possible to solve. You can solve it by using the method of Lagrange multipliers, which is a calculus method for solving optimization problems with one or more constraints. In this case, the constraint is that x and y are positive and sum to 10.The method of Lagrange multipliers involves setting up a system of equations based on the original function and the constraint(s), then solving those equations. I won't go into the details here, but if you have studied Lagrange multipliers, you might be able to solve this problem using that method.
prehisto

Homework Statement

I have a series of problems
1.problem. When this number is summed with its square. The summ is the least possible.
2.problem Find positive number which substraction with its third power would be the greatest.
3.problem Find to numbers which x+y=5 but multiplication is the least

Homework Equations

1)x+x^2=
2)x-x^3=
3)x+y=5, x*y=

The Attempt at a Solution

I suppose I should you use limits but can't figure out how ( what kind of limit i should use) Some-kind of help ,please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know/ can you use derivatives?

prehisto said:

Homework Statement

I have a series of problems
1.problem. When this number is summed with its square. The summ is the least possible.
2.problem Find positive number which substraction with its third power would be the greatest.
3.problem Find to numbers which x+y=5 but multiplication is the least

Homework Equations

1)x+x^2=
2)x-x^3=
3)x+y=5, x*y=

The Attempt at a Solution

I suppose I should you use limits but can't figure out how ( what kind of limit i should use) Some-kind of help ,please?
These problems have nothing to do with limits. Problems 1 and 3 can be done without calculus. Problem 2 can be done using calculus, or you can find an approximate solution by graphing an equation.

You posted this in the Precalc section, so our assumption is that you are in a math class that isn't at the calculus level. What class are you currently in?

Mastermind01 said:
Do you know/ can you use derivatives?
Yes,I can

Mark44 said:
These problems have nothing to do with limits. Problems 1 and 3 can be done without calculus. Problem 2 can be done using calculus, or you can find an approximate solution by graphing an equation.

You posted this in the Precalc section, so our assumption is that you are in a math class that isn't at the calculus level. What class are you currently in?

I rely do not understand the distinction between precalc an calculus. I just assumed that this is not "advanced" mathematics.

I know derivatives, integration and differential solutions. I just don't understand how to solve this kind of problems.

prehisto said:
I know derivatives, integration and differential solutions.
Precalc includes algebra and trigonometry - math areas that are usually taught before ("pre-") calculus.

Do you know how to use derivatives to find the minimum or maximum value of a function?

I am moving this thread to the Calculus & Beyond section.

Likes Mastermind01
prehisto said:
Yes,I can

Like Mark44 said this is then a simple maxima minima problem.

Mark44 said:
Precalc includes algebra and trigonometry - math areas that are usually taught before ("pre-") calculus.

Do you know how to use derivatives to find the minimum or maximum value of a function?

I am moving this thread to the Calculus & Beyond section.
Yes, thank you for hint and already solved these problems,but i have another one which is a bit confusing.

I have to find 2 positive numbers x+y=10 in such way x^2/2 +y^3=0 is the least.
I plotted both functions and they have a cross point only when y is negative (15;-5). Should i plot x+y=10 and derivative function of x^2/2 +y^3=0 ?

prehisto said:
Yes, thank you for hint and already solved these problems,but i have another one which is a bit confusing.

I plotted both functions and they have a cross point only when y is negative (15;-5). Should i plot x+y=10 and derivative function of x^2/2 +y^3=0 ?

I'm assuming the problem is to minimize ##x^2/2+y^3## (no ##=0##, that wouldn't make much sense). Since you know ##x+y=10## then you also know ##y=10-x##. Substitute that into the quadratic to get a function of the single variable ##x##.

Last edited:
Likes prehisto
Dick said:
I'm assuming the problem is to minimize ##x^2/2+y^3## (no ##=0##, that wouldn't make much sense). Since you know ##x+y=10## then you also know ##y=10-x##. Substitute that into the quadratic to get a function of the single variable ##x##.

If i do this, I end up getting x =14,7 that means y= -4,7 which does not comply with the condition that both numbers should be positive.

prehisto said:
If i do this, I end up getting x =14,7 that means y= -4,7 which does not comply with the condition that both numbers should be positive.

I don't think that is correct. Can you show your work?

When you solve a quadratic equation, there will be two solutions. In this case, neither of the solutions is x = 14.7, so I concur with Dick's statement.

Mark44 said:
When you solve a quadratic equation, there will be two solutions. In this case, neither of the solutions is x = 14.7, so I concur with Dick's statement.
You mean x(-x2+61/2 x+700)?
If I solve -x2+61/2 x+700 I also get x values which do not comply with the condition

prehisto said:
You mean x(-x2+61/2 x+700)?
Where did this come from?

It would be helpful if you showed us all of your work.
prehisto said:
If I solve -x2+61/2 x+700 I also get x values which do not comply with the condition
-x2+61/2 x+700 is not an equation, so you can't solve it. An equation has = between two expressions.

prehisto said:

That is not the solution. Start again.

prehisto said:
I'm pretty sure you have not given the problem correctly. Here's what I believe the problem actually is:

Find two positive numbers x and y, whose sum is 10, for which ##\frac{x^2}2 + y^3## is the smallest.
What you wrote -- "in such a way x^2/2 +y^3=0 is the least." -- is not possible. If x and y are positive numbers, then there is no way that ##\frac{x^2}2 + y^3## could be equal to 0.

What are limits in problem solving?

Limits in problem solving refer to the boundaries or restrictions that may exist in finding a solution to a problem. These can be related to resources, time, or other constraints that may affect the outcome of a problem.

How do you determine the limits in a problem?

The limits in a problem can be determined by analyzing the given information and identifying any constraints or restrictions that may affect the solution. This may involve setting boundaries or considering various scenarios to understand the limitations of the problem.

Why are limits important in problem solving?

Limits are important in problem solving because they help to define the scope and boundaries of a problem. By understanding the limits, one can focus on finding a solution within those boundaries and avoid wasting time or resources on unattainable solutions.

How do you approach solving a problem with limits?

When solving a problem with limits, it is important to first identify and understand the limits involved. Then, brainstorm possible solutions that fit within those limits and evaluate their feasibility. Finally, choose the best solution that meets the needs of the problem while staying within the limits.

What are some strategies for overcoming limits in problem solving?

There are various strategies for overcoming limits in problem solving, including breaking down the problem into smaller parts, seeking outside resources or assistance, and thinking creatively to find alternative solutions. It may also be helpful to reevaluate the limits and see if they can be adjusted or expanded to allow for more potential solutions.