Solve Quadric Equation: 4x^2+y^2+4z^2-4y-24z+36=0

  • Thread starter Thread starter Winzer
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
Winzer
Messages
597
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Identify the quadric:


Homework Equations


[tex]4x^2+y^2+4z^2-4y-24z+36=0[/tex]


The Attempt at a Solution



[tex]4x^2+(y-2)^2+4(z-3)^2=-36+9+4[/tex]
Right?
Then
[tex]4x^2+(y-2)^2+4(z-3)^2=-23[/tex]
But this is wrong. How?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Check your algebra in step 3.

More specifically, check the terms associated with Z.
 
CaptainZappo said:
Check your algebra in step 3.

More specifically, check the terms associated with Z.

Mmm. I am not quite sure what you mean. If your talking about the 4 I just factored that out.
 
Winzer said:
Mmm. I am not quite sure what you mean. If your talking about the 4 I just factored that out.

Yes, that's what he means. Since you factor the 4 out, and you complete the square, like this:
[tex]4z ^ 2 - 24z = 4 (z ^ 2 - 6z) = 4 (z ^ 2 - 6z) + 36 - 36 = 4 (z ^ 2 - 6z + 9) - 36 = 4 (z - 3) ^ 2 \textcolor{red}{- 36}[/tex]

In fact, you should add and subtract 36, instead of 4, as you did. :)
 
Shouldn't it be:

[tex]4x^2+y^2+4z^2-4y-24z+36=0[/tex]
[tex]4x^2+(y^2-4y+4)+(4z^2-24z+144)=-36+144+4[/tex]?
 
Winzer said:
Shouldn't it be:

[tex]4x^2+y^2+4z^2-4y-24z+36=0[/tex]
[tex]4x^2+(y^2-4y+4)+(4z^2-24z+144)=-36+144+4[/tex]?

Actually I think I see it:
I have to complete the square first, then I can factor, then subtract.
 
Winzer said:
Shouldn't it be:

[tex]4x^2+y^2+4z^2-4y-24z+36=0[/tex]
[tex]4x^2+(y^2-4y+4)+(4z^2-24z+144)=-36+144+4[/tex]?

Nope, note that 4z2 = (2z)2

So, it should be:

[tex]4x^2+(y^2-4y+4)+((2z)^2- 2 \times (2z) \times 6 + 6 ^ 2)=-36 \textcolor{red}{+ 36} + 4 \Rightarrow ...[/tex]

Can you take it from here? :)-----------------

Edit:
Actually I think I see it:
I have to complete the square first, then I can factor, then subtract.

No, you can factor first, like what I've done in the previous post. That's okay, but you should be extremely careful when doing this.
 
Last edited: