Solve Rate Word Problem: 34 FTF Produced 3800 Meals in 40 Hours

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
jacy
Messages
76
Reaction score
0
hi,
Someone please help me with this problem.

How many meals were served per labor minute if 34 FTF produced 3800 meals in one 40 hour week, thanks. I don't know where to begin.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
One is asked to find a rate, expressed in meals/minute.

So Rate = Variable / Time.

The Variable in this problem is the number of meals.

Time = The 40 hrs (the time labor works in one calendar week).

So how many minutes in 40 hrs?
 
Astronuc said:
One is asked to find a rate, expressed in meals/minute.
So Rate = Variable / Time.
The Variable in this problem is the number of meals.
Time = The 40 hrs (the time labor works in one calendar week).
So how many minutes in 40 hrs?

Thanks, there r 2400 mins in 40 hr.
Rate = 3800 meals/ 2400 min.

But am not getting the answer.
 
HallsofIvy said:
What is "FTF"?
What is a "labor minute"?

I think FTF means employees.

This is what am getting

3800/40 hr
= 3800/2400 min
= 1.58

1.58/ 34 = 0.05

This answer that am getting is one of the options. I hope am right, thanks.
 
I hope that is NOT one of the options because, in this question, "0.05" is meaningless! 0.05 WHAT? What are the units?

jacy said:
How many meals were served per labor minute if 34 FTF produced 3800 meals in one 40 hour week, thanks. I don't know where to begin.
Are you sure it wasn't FTE? "Full Time Employees" would make more sense.
There are 60 minutes per hour and so 60*40= 2400 minutes per "40 hour week". Serving 3800 meals in that time is (3800 meals)/(2400 minute) meals/minute= 1.583333 meals/minute. Since there were 34 employees working one minute is 34 "employee-minutes" so we need to divide by 34
(1.583333 meals/minute)/(34 employee-minutes/minute)= 0.0466 meals/employee-minute. You are welcome to round that off to 0.05 but the units are an essential part of the answer: I hope the answer you are referring to is "0.05 meals per employee-minute".