Finding the length of a steel bar pendulum with period 1.2 s

  • Thread starter Thread starter LunaTech
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Pendulum Shm
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
LunaTech
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A uniform steel bar swings from a pivot at one end with a period of 1.2 seconds. How long is the bar?


Homework Equations


T=2[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\sqrt{L/g}[/itex]


The Attempt at a Solution


I manipulated this equation to solve for L, giving me L=[itex]T^{2}g/4\pi^{2}[/itex]
Plugged in T=1.2 seconds and g=9.8. Answer I got was (to two significant figures) 0.36 m. But apparently that answer is wrong so I don't know what I am missing or if I am using the wrong equation.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
LunaTech said:
But apparently that answer is wrong so I don't know what I am missing or if I am using the wrong equation.
The equation you are using is for a simple pendulum, where all the mass is concentrated at the end. When the mass is spread out, as in your problem, you have what is called a physical pendulum, so you'll need to modify that formula a bit. Read this: Physical Pendulum
 
That clears things up a bit. I got the answer now. Thanks.