Finding axial extension in steel bar

In summary, the problem involves a cylindrical steel bar with dimensions 20-mm in diameter and 5.0-m in length, subjected to an axial tensile load of 40-kN at the ends. Using the equations E=\sigma/e, \sigma = F/A, and e= change in L / Lo, the axial extension of the steel bar is calculated to be 1.2 mm. However, this calculation did not match any of the multiple choice answers provided. Upon further inspection, it was discovered that the area formula used was incorrect, and the units for stress and modulus of elasticity were inconsistent. After correcting these errors, the correct axial extension was found to be 0.0303 mm.
cd19

Homework Statement

A cylindrical steel bar, 20-mm in diameter and 5.0-m in length, is subjected to an axial tensile load of 40-kN applied at the ends of the steel bar. Determine the axial extension, in millimeters, of the steel bar under this loading condition?

Homework Equations

E=[tex]\sigma[/tex]/e

[tex]\sigma[/tex] = F/A

e= change in L / Lo

The Attempt at a Solution

To find the extension we need to find (change in Lo)

[tex]\sigma[/tex] = 40x103/((.12x pi)/4) = 50265482.46

Even though not given in the question I am presuming E for steel = 210Gpa

therefore, e = 50265482.46/ 210x109 = 2.393594403x10-4

as e = (change in L/Lo), the change in length = (2.393594403x10-4 x 5) = 1.2x10-3 m and 1.2 mm
This is a multiple choice question and this is not one of the answers, can anyone see where I am going wrong?

ANSWERS: 5x10-5 , 0.05, 3.2x10-3, 5.0, 3.2

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, the area equals D^2 x PI / 4, where D is the diameter. You calculated as if it were the radius.

Thanks for the quick reply

I did new calculations and still am getting a wrong answer,

I found the [tex]\sigma[/tex] = 1273239.545

the strain = 6.063045452x10-6

and the extension I found to be .0303 mm

I reckon it has to do with the value I am using for E but it wasn't given in the question so I am not sure, any thoughts?

Make sure your units are consistent - use milimeters for length and Newtons for force (i.e. megapascals for stress), and convert the assumed steel "Gpa" to "Mpa".

Your approach to finding the axial extension is correct. However, your calculation for the change in length may have a small error. The correct value for the change in length should be 2.393594403x10-4 x 5 = 1.1967972015x10-3 m, or approximately 1.197 mm. This would make the closest answer choice to be 5x10-5, which is the same as 0.05 mm. So the correct answer would be 0.05 mm.

What is axial extension in steel bar?

Axial extension in steel bar refers to the increase in length of a steel bar when a tensile force is applied to it. This occurs due to the stretching of the steel molecules in the direction of the applied force.

How is axial extension measured in a steel bar?

Axial extension in a steel bar can be measured using a device called an extensometer. This device attaches to the steel bar and measures the change in length as the bar is subjected to a tensile force.

What factors affect the axial extension of a steel bar?

The axial extension of a steel bar is affected by factors such as the type and grade of steel, the size and shape of the bar, and the amount of force applied to it. Temperature and environmental conditions can also play a role in the extension of a steel bar.

Why is it important to find the axial extension in steel bar?

Knowing the axial extension in steel bar is important for structural engineers and designers as it helps them determine the strength and stability of a structure. It also allows them to calculate the amount of stress and strain on the steel bar, which is crucial for ensuring the safety and reliability of a structure.

How can the axial extension of a steel bar be reduced?

The axial extension of a steel bar can be reduced by using stronger and more resilient steel, increasing the diameter of the bar, or adding supports or bracings to the structure. Controlling the amount of force applied to the bar and minimizing temperature and environmental fluctuations can also help reduce axial extension.