Solve System of 5 Equations with Jordan's Matrix Properties

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter DanielSauza
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    System
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
DanielSauza
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Hello, I've come across the following system during my finite element theory class. I'm not quite sure about how to figure out the values of u3, u4, u5, R1 and R2. I've heard something about using Jordan's matrix properties but I'm not familiar with those. How would you go about solving this system?

Sorry for my english, not my first language.
 
Attachments
  • 1440801303015.jpg
    1440801303015.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 484
Physics news on Phys.org
It is very hard to read what you have there! It appears to be
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}R_1 \\ R_2 \\ 10 \\ 0 \\ 10 \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}8 & 0 & -5 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 10 & 0 & 0 & -10 \\ -5 & 0 & 18 & 7 & -20 \\ 0 & 0 & -8 & 23 & -10 \\ 0 & -10 & -20 & -10 & 40 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 0 \\ u_3 \\ u_4 \\ u_5\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Is that correct? And is the right side a matrix multiplication? If so then the 5 equations are
[itex]-5u_3= R_1[/itex]
[itex]-10u_5= R_2[/itex]
[itex]18u_3+ 7u_4- 20u_5= 10[/itex]
[itex]-8u_3+ 23u_4- 10u_5= 0[/itex] and
[itex]-20u_3- 10 u_4+ 40u_5= 0[/itex].

The first thing I notice is that the last three equation involve [itex]u_3[/itex], [itex]u_4[/itex], and [itex]u_5[/itex] without any [itex]R_1[/itex] or [itex]R_3[/itex] so can be solved as "three equations in three unknowns". Then [itex]R_1[/itex] and [itex]R_2[/itex] can be calculated from the first two equations.