Solve T4(x) for Taylor Polynomials of f(x)=arctan(11x)

  • Thread starter Thread starter hahaha158
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Polynomials Taylor
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
hahaha158
Messages
79
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find T4(x), the Taylor polynomial of degree 4 of the function f(x)=arctan(11x) about x=0.
(You need to enter a function.)


Homework Equations



The taylor polynomial equation

Tn(x)= f(x)+(fn(x)(x-a)^n)/n!...

The Attempt at a Solution



When I take every derivative of f(x)=arctan(11x) I always end up with an x in the numerator, so when i plug in 0 for x my derivative ends up with 0, so theoretically the answer would just be arctan(11x) which is wrong.

This is what I am getting for my first few derivatives

F'(x)=22x/(11x^2+1)
F''(x)=-484x^2/(11x^2+1)^-2

what am i doing wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Those are all wrong.
F'(x)=11/(121x^2+1)
only the odd derivatives will vanish