Solve Tarzan's Force on Vine: 820N, 20.0m, 22.0°, 760N

  • Thread starter Thread starter ubiquinone
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Force Swing
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
ubiquinone
Messages
43
Reaction score
0
Hi, I have a question regarding forces and motion that I'm not sure on how to solve. I was wondering if anyone here could please show me. Thank you.

Question: Tarzan weighs 820N and swings from a cliff at the end of a 20.0m vine that hangs from a high tree limb and initially makes an angle of 22.0 degrees with the vertical. Assume that an x-axis extends horizontally away from the cliff edge and a y-axis extends upward. Immediately after Tarzan steps off the cliff, the tension in the vine is 760N. Just then, what is the force on him from the vine.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ubiquinone said:
Immediately after Tarzan steps off the cliff, the tension in the vine is 760N. Just then, what is the force on him from the vine.
Sounds like a trick question to me. :wink: