Tarzan's Centripetal Acceleration: Finding the Point of Maximum Force

• Thread starter BadatPhysicsguy
  • Start date
In summary, at the highest point Tarzan is 2.25 meters above ground, and at the lowest point he is 0 meters above ground.
BadatPhysicsguy

Homework Statement

Tarzan is swinging on the end of a vine, the vine is 6m long and is attached to the top of a tree. Tarzan weighs 90kg. At the highest level, he is 2.25 meters above ground and the lowest level 0 meters above ground.

Questions: At which point is the centripetal force/acceleration at its greatest and how big is it?

Homework Equations

F = ma
a = v^2 / r

The Attempt at a Solution

I draw an angle and show his weight (mg), and have drawn relevant lines aswell. See the picture.
rOb95JA.png

Okay, mg is the force downwards. mg is a cathetus, and you can extend the centripetal force so that it is another cathetus and mg is the hypothenuse. Alright. I have marked two angles which are the same. So how do we calculate "centri"? We need to know an angle and one side/hypothenuse. We know one cathetus. So let's call the angle x.

Tan x = mg / centri. Tan x * centri = mg.

How do I continue from here? How do I know at which point it is the biggest and how big it is?

Physics news on Phys.org
BadatPhysicsguy said:
Okay, mg is the force downwards. mg is a cathetus, and you can extend the centripetal force so that it is another cathetus and mg is the hypothenuse. Alright.
Not quite sure what you are doing here.

BadatPhysicsguy said:
a = v^2 / r
Start here.

Likes BadatPhysicsguy
Doc Al said:
Not quite sure what you are doing here.Start here.
Hello! Could you give me another pointer? Will do my best to continue from that point.

You are asked to find where the centripetal force and acceleration are greatest. Well, how would you determine the centripetal force?

Likes BadatPhysicsguy
Doc Al said:
You are asked to find where the centripetal force and acceleration are greatest. Well, how would you determine the centripetal force?
Hello, okay I tried it. But when the vine is straight (0m from the ground) isn't r = 0? Which makes it undefined for an acceleration? So it is at greatest when it is at the top because it will have a bigger radius? Am I on the right track to continue?

BadatPhysicsguy said:
But when the vine is straight (0m from the ground) isn't r = 0?
No. r is the radius of the circular path that Tarzan traces out as he swings. It equals the length of the vine.

Likes BadatPhysicsguy
Doc Al said:
No. r is the radius of the circular path that Tarzan traces out as he swings. It equals the length of the vine.
So it is 6 meters at both the lowest and highest point? Since the vine is the radius.

BadatPhysicsguy said:
So it is 6 meters at both the lowest and highest point? Since the vine is the radius.
Yes.

Likes BadatPhysicsguy
Doc Al said:
Yes.

So at both points, the centripetal force is a = v^2 / 6?

See the illustration. Am I understanding it correctly?
hN8MCbb.png

These are both the states. The first state, it is 2.25 m above ground, the vine is 6m and the radius that it spins around is 6m. In the second state, the vine is 6m. There is no radius except a "theoretical" one that points outwards, and it is 6m? How do I continue from here?

BadatPhysicsguy said:
So at both points, the centripetal force is a = v^2 / 6?
Yes. Of course, the v changes as Tarzan swings.

BadatPhysicsguy said:
See the illustration. Am I understanding it correctly?
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FhN8MCbb.png
I'm not sure what those horizontal 6m distances are.

BadatPhysicsguy said:
These are both the states. The first state, it is 2.25 m above ground, the vine is 6m and the radius that it spins around is 6m. In the second state, the vine is 6m. There is no radius except a "theoretical" one that points outwards, and it is 6m?
Tarzan swings in a circle. So draw a circle. Put the center at the top of the vine. The radius of that circle is the vine itself, which is 6 m at all points. (Nothing "theoretical" about it.) Trace out the circular path that Tarzan follows as he swings.

Likes BadatPhysicsguy
Doc Al said:
Yes. Of course, the v changes as Tarzan swings.I'm not sure what those horizontal 6m distances are.Tarzan swings in a circle. So draw a circle. Put the center at the top of the vine. The radius of that circle is the vine itself, which is 6 m at all points. (Nothing "theoretical" about it.) Trace out the circular path that Tarzan follows as he swings.

So.. like this?
j6ajZK7.png

But where does the "0 m above ground" and at most "2.25 m above ground" part come into play? How do I determine which has the greatest force?

BadatPhysicsguy said:
So.. like this?
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2Fj6ajZK7.png
Better, but he only travels a part of the circle. So mark off the starting point (the highest point that he reaches) and the lowest point. That will show you the path that he travels.

BadatPhysicsguy said:
But where does the "0 m above ground" and at most "2.25 m above ground" part come into play?
The bottom of the circle is at ground level. He starts at a higher point than that.

BadatPhysicsguy said:
How do I determine which has the greatest force?
Use the formula:
BadatPhysicsguy said:
a = v^2 / r

Likes BadatPhysicsguy
Doc Al said:
Better, but he only travels a part of the circle. So mark off the starting point (the highest point that he reaches) and the lowest point. That will show you the path that he travels.The bottom of the circle is at ground level. He starts at a higher point than that.Use the formula:

JJ5RLiO.png

Is that better?

EDIT: Forgot to thank you for your patience with me.

BadatPhysicsguy said:
Is that better?
Much better.

Now, at what point is the speed (v) greatest?

BadatPhysicsguy said:
EDIT: Forgot to thank you for your patience with me.
You are welcome. Keep going. You'll get there!

Likes BadatPhysicsguy
Doc Al said:
Much better.

Now, at what point is the speed (v) greatest?You are welcome. Keep going. You'll get there!

It is bigger on the way down? But how do you know if he began from the top and not the bottom? Because if he started at the bottom and then went upwards there would be a need for a greater velocity/acceleration than on the way down, if I'm not thinking wrong.

BadatPhysicsguy said:
It is bigger on the way down?
Yes, the lower he gets, the faster he gets.

BadatPhysicsguy said:
But how do you know if he began from the top and not the bottom?
If he started from the bottom he'd have a heck of a time getting going! From the top, he'd just be able to hang on and start swinging.

BadatPhysicsguy said:
Because if he started at the bottom and then went upwards there would be a need for a greater velocity/acceleration than on the way down, if I'm not thinking wrong.
If he started at the bottom, he'd already have to be moving.

But no matter how he started, he is now swinging back and forth. So at what point is his speed greatest?

Likes BadatPhysicsguy
Doc Al said:
Yes, the lower he gets, the faster he gets.If he started from the bottom he'd have a heck of a time getting going! From the top, he'd just be able to hang on and start swinging.If he started at the bottom, he'd already have to be moving.

But no matter how he started, he is now swinging back and forth. So at what point is his speed greatest?
It would be on the way down, and then as he goes back up he will reach a lower height and so on.

Alright! So now I need to figure out the force when he goes down? But there are two unknowns here, v and a. I know r and m. How do I figure out either of the variables? Any pointers?

You need to find the speed at the lowest point. Hint: Make use of the fact that the maximum height is given.

Likes BadatPhysicsguy
Doc Al said:
You need to find the speed at the lowest point. Hint: Make use of the fact that the maximum height is given.

Can't I use conservation of energy laws? All potential energy is converted to kinetic energy at the bottom.
m * g * h = 1/2 m * v2

I know m, g, h, m and not v. I get v, enter it into a=v^2 / r and I am done. Is it correct?

BadatPhysicsguy said:
Can't I use conservation of energy laws? All potential energy is converted to kinetic energy at the bottom.
m * g * h = 1/2 m * v2
Excellent!

BadatPhysicsguy said:
I know m, g, h, m and not v. I get v, enter it into a=v^2 / r and I am done. Is it correct?
Yes. That will give you the centripetal acceleration. Then you can find the centripetal force, if you need to.

Likes BadatPhysicsguy
Doc Al said:
Excellent!Yes. That will give you the centripetal acceleration. Then you can find the centripetal force, if you need to.
Alright. Thank you so much for the help! You've really helped me understand this problem. Thanks again!

Doc Al said:
Excellent!Yes. That will give you the centripetal acceleration. Then you can find the centripetal force, if you need to.
But now that we know all of this. From the top point it's accelerating as the energy is converted, potential->kinetic, therefore the speed is at its greatest at the bottom, because it doesn't just halt, so wouldn't the centripetal force be at its largest at the bottom instead?

BadatPhysicsguy said:
so wouldn't the centripetal force be at its largest at the bottom instead?
Of course. (Wherever the centripetal acceleration is greatest is where the centripetal force must be greatest.)

1. What physical forces allow Tarzan to swing on a vine?

The main forces at play when Tarzan swings on a vine are gravity and centripetal force. Gravity pulls Tarzan and the vine towards the center of the Earth, while centripetal force keeps Tarzan moving in a circular motion around the vine.

2. How does Tarzan generate enough momentum to swing on a vine?

Tarzan typically generates momentum by pushing off of a sturdy tree branch or rock with his feet or hands before grabbing onto the vine. This initial push provides the necessary force to start the swinging motion.

3. Can Tarzan control his speed and direction while swinging on a vine?

Yes, Tarzan can control his speed and direction while swinging on a vine. By adjusting his body position and the angle at which he holds onto the vine, Tarzan can change the amount of centripetal force and alter his trajectory.

4. What challenges does Tarzan face while swinging on a vine?

One of the main challenges Tarzan faces while swinging on a vine is maintaining his grip on the vine. He must also be aware of any obstacles in his path, such as trees or branches, and adjust his swinging accordingly to avoid collisions.

5. Is swinging on a vine an efficient mode of transportation for Tarzan?

While swinging on a vine may seem like a fun and efficient way for Tarzan to get around, it actually requires a lot of energy and is not the most practical mode of transportation. Tarzan would likely get tired quickly and may not be able to swing long distances without rest.