Solve Tension Problem: 3kg Mass, 5.4kg Brick, 12.01N Friction

  • Thread starter Thread starter David999
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Tension
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
David999
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Well for a lab we did, there's a 3kg mass hanging over a pulley, attached to a 5.4kg brick by a rope, causing the brick to accelerate over a horizontal surface. I have no idea how I'm supposed to calculate the tension.

Oh, and the force of friction is 12.01 N.

Homework Equations



F=ma?

The Attempt at a Solution



I don't even know where to begin.

Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The total tension in the rope will be the net force acting on the brick. If you draw a free-body diagram, you see that the net force is equal to the frictional force subtracted from the tension caused by the 3kg mass.

[tex]T_{net}[/tex] = [tex]F_{net}[/tex] = ([tex]T_{mass}[/tex] - [tex]F_{friction}[/tex])
 
David999 said:

Homework Statement



Well for a lab we did, there's a 3kg mass hanging over a pulley, attached to a 5.4kg brick by a rope, causing the brick to accelerate over a horizontal surface. I have no idea how I'm supposed to calculate the tension.

Oh, and the force of friction is 12.01 N.

Homework Equations



F=ma?

The Attempt at a Solution



I don't even know where to begin.

Thank you!

Two forces (weight force minus tension force) act on the mass causing it to accelerate downward and two forces (tension force minus friction force) act on the brick causing it to accelerate horizontally at the same rate as the mass.
 
SArnab said:
The total tension in the rope will be the net force acting on the brick. If you draw a free-body diagram, you see that the net force is equal to the frictional force subtracted from the tension caused by the 3kg mass.

[tex]T_{net}[/tex] = [tex]F_{net}[/tex] = ([tex]T_{mass}[/tex] - [tex]F_{friction}[/tex])

You're a lifesaver! Thank you so much!

I had actually drawn a FBD and got tension= Fnet, but the there was a question on the lab which through me off... the equation you gave solves everything!