Solve the fallowing by factoring and making appropriate sign charts.

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem using factoring and appropriate sign charts. The person is unsure about how to factor the expression and attempts different combinations, but ultimately decides to use the quadratic formula as it is the best option. They confirm that their instructions were to solve by factoring, but they were still confused by the directions.
epkid08

Homework Statement

Solve the fallowing by factoring and making appropriate sign charts.
[tex]2x^2+4x\leq3[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It simply does not factor the way I want it to(unless I did something wrong). I don't think it wants me to use the quadratic formula, and completing the square won't get me anywhere. Am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's try:
Add (-3) to both sides,
2x^2 + 4x - 3 <= 0

Can we factorize the lefthand side?

(2x_____ -1 ) (x_____ +3 )
(2x_____ +1 ) (x_____ -3 )
(2x_____ -3 ) (x_____ +1 )
(2x_____ +3 ) (x_____ -1 )
Do ANY of those four work? If yes, then factored/
If no, then use quadratic formula solution.

I guess I'll just use the formula.

epkid08 said:
I guess I'll just use the formula.

That is the best choice; I examined the four different arrangements and none of them will multiply to give the trinomial expression. Are you sure that YOUR instructions are to solve by factoring?

Oh yes I am, I'm doing this in a review packet for Calc2. The only reason I posted it was because I was confused by the directions:confused:.

1. What does it mean to "solve by factoring"?

To solve by factoring means to find the values of the unknown variable by breaking down a given equation into smaller parts or factors. This is done by finding numbers or variables that when multiplied together, equal the original equation.

2. How do you factor an equation?

To factor an equation, you can use a variety of methods such as finding common factors, using the distributive property, or using the quadratic formula. The specific method used will depend on the type and complexity of the equation.

3. What is a sign chart?

A sign chart is a graphical representation of the signs (+ or -) of the factors in an equation. It is used to determine the intervals where the equation is positive or negative, which can help in finding the solutions to the equation.

4. Why is it important to make appropriate sign charts when solving by factoring?

Making appropriate sign charts is important because it helps you to identify the intervals where the equation is positive or negative. This can help in determining the correct solutions to the equation and avoiding any mistakes.

5. Can all equations be solved by factoring?

No, not all equations can be solved by factoring. Some equations, such as equations with higher degree polynomials or equations with complex numbers, may require other methods to find the solutions. It is important to determine the type and complexity of the equation before deciding on the appropriate method to solve it.