Solve Thevenin Resistance: R3 Explained

In summary, Thevenin resistance is a concept in electrical engineering that helps simplify complex circuits by representing the equivalent resistance of a circuit when viewed from two terminals. It is calculated by removing the load resistor and finding the equivalent resistance using Ohm's law or resistor combinations. Thevenin resistance is important for simplifying circuit analysis and design, and for determining maximum power transfer. R3, the load resistor, is used to calculate Thevenin resistance by removing it from the circuit. Thevenin resistance is used in practical applications such as circuit design, power systems, and troubleshooting complex circuits.
vg19
Hey,

For the attached question, the only part I do not understand is why the Thevenin Resistance is equal to R3.

I thought it would be (R1 || R2) + R3

Can somebody please explain this?

cheers!

Attachments

• thev.JPG
    thev.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 450
Physics news on Phys.org
lol i also think wat u think(dont count on that though my ckts suck)...do tell me too why it isnt:d

The second hand drawn figure shows it. R1 and R2 are not in parallel. They are in series and their series connection is in parallel with a short circuit, so the equivalent resistance of this connection is zero.

Related to Solve Thevenin Resistance: R3 Explained

What is Thevenin resistance?

Thevenin resistance is a concept in electrical engineering that represents the equivalent resistance of a circuit when viewed from two terminals. It is used to simplify complex circuits and make it easier to analyze and design.

How is Thevenin resistance calculated?

Thevenin resistance is calculated by removing the load resistor from the circuit and finding the equivalent resistance between the two terminals. This can be done using Ohm's law or by finding the parallel or series combination of resistors in the circuit.

Why is Thevenin resistance important?

Thevenin resistance is important because it allows us to simplify complex circuits and make it easier to analyze and design. It also helps in finding the maximum power transfer in a circuit and in determining the voltage and current at any point in the circuit.

What is the purpose of R3 in Thevenin resistance?

R3 is the load resistor in a circuit and it helps in calculating the Thevenin resistance. By removing R3 from the circuit and finding the equivalent resistance, we can determine the Thevenin resistance of the circuit.

How is Thevenin resistance used in practical applications?

Thevenin resistance is used in various practical applications such as circuit design, power systems, and electronic devices. It is also used in troubleshooting and analyzing complex circuits to determine the voltage and current at different points.