Can You Solve This Challenging Functional Equation?

• Thread starter LCSphysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functional
In summary, the conversation is about the function f(x) and its properties, specifically in relation to the equation $$f(xf(y) + f(x)) + f(y^2) = f(x) + yf(x + y)$$. Several possible solutions are discussed, including f(x) = x, f(x) = 0, and f(x) = cx. It is suggested to use Taylor expansion and the properties of f(0) to find the only possible solution. However, it is noted that this approach is not valid as f may not be continuous. The conversation ends with the suggestion to explore the function f(x) further.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
"Find all functions f: R in R such that x and y belong to R" (R is obviously real space) (continuation in the blank frame
Relevant Equations
\n
$$f(xf(y) + f(x)) + f(y^2) = f(x) + yf(x + y)$$

A tricky question, i think.
First fact i found was:
f(f(0)) = 0
So i separate it in two types of functions
f(0) = 0 and f(0) = u.

I was trying to analyzing both cases, with the cases where x = y and x = -y but is is rather extended way, so i believe there is a better attempt to solve the question
Anyway i am not sure if we have a solution with explicit functions (f(x) = x²) or if the answer end to be something like (f(x) + f(y) + ...)

Any tips?

@fresh_42

Physics news on Phys.org
I see an obvious example of solution
[tex]f(x)=x[/tex].

Likes LCSphysicist and Delta2
anuttarasammyak said:
I see an obvious example of solution
[tex]f(x)=x[/tex].
And how do you prove this is the only function possible?

I see another solution [tex]f(x)=0[/tex].

There may be more but I am not sure. How about writing f(x) in Taylor expansion form and taking a look at the coefficients of the same ##x^n y^m## term ,i.e
[tex] f(x)=f(0)+xf'(0)+...[/tex]
Hence we know ## f(0)=0, f'(0)=0,1##, f"(0)=0,...

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:

There may be more but I am not sure. How about writing f(x) in Taylor expansion form and taking a look at the coefficients of the same ##x^n y^m## term ,i.e
Who says a solution must be differentiable?

anuttarasammyak said:

I imagined in open in Taylor, but i believe it would be so troublesome, we have not just x, we have f as function of y and other variables too.

I was thinking if the only possible answer happens to be just a lot of guess, i would be disappointed

. Maybe @PeroK can think in something to help us.

LCSphysicist said:
Maybe @PeroK can think in something to help us.
Not immediately!

Likes Delta2
LCSphysicist said:
So i separate it in two types of functions
f(0) = 0 and f(0) = u.
Follow that path. What general equation does x=0 give you? What about y=0 instead?

Likes anuttarasammyak
haruspex said:
Follow that path. What general equation does x=0 give you? What about y=0 instead?
Yes, i tried a lot and i found that the only functions which satisfy all the conditions is ##f(\gamma) = \gamma##
I checked and confirmed that the angular coefficiente need to be 1, and can not be any linear coefficient.
@anuttarasammyak made a nice guess #2.

LCSphysicist said:
i found that the only functions which satisfy all the conditions is ##f(\gamma) = \gamma##
Are you saying you have proved that, or just that it is the only solution you have found?

Say x=0
[tex]f(f(0))+f(y^2)=f(0)+yf(y)[/tex].
Say y=0
[tex]f(xf(0)+f(x))=f(x)[/tex],further say x=0
[tex]f(f(0))=f(0)[/tex]
So
[tex]f(y^2)=yf(y)[/tex]
f(0)=0. For ##y \neq 0##
[tex]\frac{f(y^2)}{y^2}=\frac{f(y)}{y}=c[/tex]
We can easily know allowed values of c by inputting f(y)=cy, which satisfy f(0)=0, to the original equation or the above second equation.

EDIT
I add on the features
[tex]f(f(x))=f(x)[/tex]
which shows nature of projection.

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
Say x=0
[tex]f(f(0))+f(y^2)=f(0)+yf(y)[/tex].
Say y=0
[tex]f(xf(0)+f(x))=f(x)[/tex],further say x=0
[tex]f(f(0))=f(0)[/tex]
So
[tex]f(y^2)=yf(y)[/tex]
f(0)=0. For ##y \neq 0##
[tex]\frac{f(y^2)}{y^2}=\frac{f(y)}{y}=c[/tex]
We can easily know allowed values of c by inputting f(y)=cy, which satisfy f(0)=0, to the original equation or the above second equation.

From
[tex]\frac{f(y^2)}{y^2}=\frac{f(y)}{y}[/tex]

we can't conclude that both sides are constant, can we? We can define a new function
[tex]g(x) = f(x)/x[/tex]

Then we have:
[tex]g(x) = g(x^2)[/tex]

Does that imply that g is a constant function?

Hi.
[tex]\frac{f(x^2)}{x^2}=\frac{f(x)}{x},\ f(0)=0[/tex]
So f(x) is odd function of x. Let us expand it in series
[tex]f(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}a_{2n+1}\ x^{2n+1}[/tex]
The above relation shows
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}a_{2n+1}\ (x^{4n}-x^{2n})=0[/tex]
All the coefficients except ##a_1## are zero.

anuttarasammyak said:
Hi.
[tex]\frac{f(x^2)}{x^2}=\frac{f(x)}{x},\ f(0)=0[/tex]
So f(x) is odd function of x. Let us expand it in series
[tex]f(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}a_{2n+1}\ x^{2n+1}[/tex]
The above relation shows
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}a_{2n+1}\ (x^{4n}-x^{2n})=0[/tex]
All the coefficients except ##a_1## are zero.
As has been pointed out, this approach is utterly invalid. We are not given that f is continuous, let alone differentiable.

haruspex said:
We are not given that f is continuous, let alone differentiable.
Thanks. I admit my proof #13 works only if f(x) can be expressed in series.

For example
f(1)=1, f(-1)=-1, f(x)=0 otherwise
is a solution.

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
f(1)=1, f(-1)=-1, f(x)=0 otherwise
is a solution.
Are you sure? What about x=1, y=-2?

Thanks. #15 is a solution of equation f(x)/x=f(x^2)/x^2, f(x)=0. I see it does not satisfy the equation of post #1 , as you pointed out. As I should find the allowed values of c in post #11, not all the solutions of the equation f(x)/x=f(x^2)/x^2, f(x)=0 are the solution of the equation of post #1.

Now I am much interested to know whether we have more solutions other than analytic f(x)=cx, c={0,1}.

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
Thanks. #15 is a solution of equation f(x)/x=f(x^2)/x^2, f(x)=0. I see it does not satisfy the equation of post #1 , as you pointed out. As I should find the allowed values of c in post #11, not all the solutions of the equation f(x)/x=f(x^2)/x^2, f(x)=0 are the solution of the equation of post #1.

Now I am much interested to know whether we have more solutions other than analytic f(x)=cx, c={0,1}.
So far I have only managed to show
f(0) = 0
f(f(x)) = f(x)
f(x2) = x f(x)
If f(u) = u then f(nu) = nu for all integers n.

Edit:
Oh, and I forgot
f(-x)=-f(x)

Last edited:
haruspex said:
So far I have only managed to show
f(0) = 0
f(f(x)) = f(x)
f(x2) = x f(x)
That is also tremendous progress. This allow you to simplify the functional equation to $$xf(y) + yf(y) = yf(x+y)$$

Re:#19
Your result toghether with the equation suggest the relation
[tex]f(xf(y)+f(x))=xf(y)+f(x)[/tex]
I am not sure it stands.

William Crawford said:
That is also tremendous progress. This allow you to simplify the functional equation to $$xf(y) + yf(y) = yf(x+y)$$
If so, doesn't it immediately follow that yf(x )=xf(y)?

anuttarasammyak said:
Re:#19
Your result toghether with the equation suggest the relation
[tex]f(xf(y)+f(x))=xf(y)+f(x)[/tex]
I am not sure it stands.
No, you are right. What I wrote in 19 wasn't correct.

From ##f(x^2)=xf(x)## conclude that ##f## is an odd function i.e. ##f(-x)=-f(x)##. If we take ##(x,y) = (-x,y)## then we get that
$$ f(-xf(y)+f(-x)) + yf(y) = f(-x) + yf(y-x) $$
or, by using the odd property of ##f##, that
$$ -f(xf(y)+f(x)) + yf(y) = -f(x) + yf(y-x). $$
Now, add this equation with the original functional equation, to get that
$$ 2f(x) = f(x+y) + f(x-y).$$
Next, use that ##f(x+y)## is symmetric under ##(x,y)\mapsto(y,x)## to derive that
$$ f(x)-f(y) = f(x-y)$$
or equivalently that
$$ f(x)+f(y) = f(x+y).$$
This is nothing more than Cauchy's functional equation. Thus, if it is assumed that ##f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}## is continuous, then ##f(x) = ax## for ##a\in\mathbb{R}## are all the solutions.

Last edited:
Likes anuttarasammyak
Excellent! but
[tex]f(f(x))=f(x)[/tex]
puts us
[tex]a^2=a[/tex]?

anuttarasammyak said:
Excellent! but
[tex]f(f(x))=f(x)[/tex]
puts us
[tex]a^2=a[/tex]?
True, however that just imply that either ##a=1## or ##a=0##.

Thanks. That meet with my #17. Can you tell me if other non analytic solutions exist?

I believe that ##f(x) = ax## for ##a\in\{0,1\}## are the entire family of continuous solutions (consisting of elementary functions) to the original functional equation. As any continuous solution also has to be a solution to the Cauchy's functional equation. However there exist non-continuous solutions to the Cauchy's functional equation and there might therefore also exist non-continuous solutions to the original functional equation.

Last edited:
Likes anuttarasammyak
haruspex said:
f(x)+f(y)=f(x+y) tells us f(nx)=f(x)+f((n-1)x)=... = n f(x)

Is "If f(u) = u" is necessary to say f(nu) = nf(u) and why n is limited to integer not any real number ?

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
Thanks. That meet with my #17. Can you tell me if other non analytic solutions exist?
The function ##f(x) = \mathrm{max}(x,0)## (i.e. the positive part) is also a solution to Cauchy as well and though it is continuous it isn't differentiable at ##x=0## and thus not analytic. Check for yourself if also satisfy the original functional equation.

Hi. Say f(x)=max(x,0)
[tex]f(x)+f(-x)=|x|[/tex]and

[tex]f(x)+f(-x)=0[/tex]
seem incompatible.

Last edited:
Okay, so we almost have come to the conclusion that ##f(x) = x## for all ##x##, but not quite. Instead, we have the facts that:
  1. ##f(p) = p## for all rational numbers ##p##
  2. ##f(ax + by) = af(x) + bf(y)## for all rational numbers ##a## and ##b##
  3. ##f(f(x)) = f(x)##
These are all consistent with ##f(x) = x##, but I don't see that they imply it, either. Is it possible, for example, to have 1-3 hold and to also have ##f(\pi) = 1##?

Hi.
stevendaryl said:
Okay, so we almost have come to the conclusion that f(x)=x for all x, but not quite.
Another conclusion is f(x)=0 for all x, Anyway I will follow you.
stevendaryl said:
Instead, we have the facts that:
  1. ##f(p) = p## for all rational numbers ##p##
  2. ##f(ax + by) = af(x) + bf(y)## for all rational numbers ##a## and ##b##
  3. ##f(f(x)) = f(x)##
I have questions on 1. and 2.
As for 2. first, ##f(x)+f(y)=f(x+y)## that William Crawford identified tells ##f(nx+my)=nf(x)+mf(y)## for integer n,m. How would I develop it so that they are rational numbers ?
2. and ##f(1)=1## gives 1. How can I get ##f(1)=1##?

anuttarasammyak said:
Another conclusion is f(x)=0 for all x, Anyway I will follow you.

If you look at the original functional equation, ##f(x) = x## is a solution.

I have questions on 1. and 2.
As for 2. first, ##f(x)+f(y)=f(x+y)## that William Crawford identified tells ##f(nx+my)=nf(x)+mf(y)## for integer n,m. How would I develop it so that they are rational numbers ?

Well, ##f(m * x/m) = m * f(x/m)##. So ##f(x/m) = 1/m f(x)##.

2. and ##f(1)=1## gives 1. How can I get ##f(1)=1##?

I'm saying that that is one solution, ##f(x) = x##. I'm asking if there are other solutions besides that one (and the trivial one, ##f(x) = 0##).

Thanks. Now I understand :

The relation ##f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y)## gives ##f(ax+by)=af(x)+bf(y)## for rational numbers a,b, not for irrational numbers. We add ##f(1)=1## to the conditions of the solution. These two give ##f(x)=x## for all rational numbers x.

I assume @stevendaryl suggests this f(x) for rational number x together with a different definition of f(x) for irrational number x would satisfy the original equation in post #1.

From the relation ##f(x^2)=xf(x)##
[tex]f(2)=\sqrt{2} f(\sqrt{2})=2[/tex],
[tex]f(\sqrt{2})=\sqrt{2} [/tex]
Similarly
[tex]f(a\sqrt{2}+b\sqrt{3})=a\sqrt{2}+b\sqrt{3}[/tex] for rational numbers a,b. We observe f(x)=x for some irrational numbers.

Inputting x=1 into the equation in post #1, as f(1)=1, we get f(y)=y for any real number y including irrational numbers in spite of the above expectation.

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
The relation f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y) gives f(ax+by)=af(x)+bf(y) for rational numbers a,b, not for irrational numbers.
Let ##c## be a rational number (possibly irrational), then there exist a sequence ##\{q_n\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}}## of purely rational numbers that converges to ##c##. Therefore (assuming ##f## is continuous)
$$
\begin{align*}
f(cx) &= \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}f(q_nx) \\
&= \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}q_nf(x) \\
&= cf(x)
\end{align*}
$$
and thus ##f(ax+by) = af(x) + bf(y)## is true even when ##a## and ##b## are irrational.