Solve this partial diff. equation using substitution

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem with solving a differential equation and finding the derivative of a given equation. The original equation is z = au + bv, and the problem involves finding z'_x and z'_y. There is also a discussion about a change of variables and using the chain rule to solve the equation. Overall, the conversation is focused on finding the correct solution for the given equation.
Addez123
Homework Statement
$$yx'_x - xz'_y = xyz$$
Solve by variable change:
$$u = x^2 + y^2$$
$$v = e ^{-x^2/2}$$
Relevant Equations
None.
I completely forgot how to solve these so here's my attempt:
$$z = au + bv$$
$$z = a(x^2 + y^2) + be ^{-x^2/2}$$
$$z'_x = 2ax - bxe ^{-x^2/2}$$
$$z'_y = 2ay$$
Put that into the original equation and you get
$$y * (2ax - bxe ^{-x^2/2}) -x * (2ay) = $$
$$-ybe^{-x^2/2} = xyz$$
$$z = -be^{-x^2/2}/x$$

But the solution should be
$$e^{-x^2/2} * f(x^2 + y^2)$$

Did I do everything wrong or just missed something here?

Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
What is ##x'_x##?
If I extract x from u = x^2 + y^2 I get:
$$x = sqrt(u - y^2)$$
and getting the derivative requires me to replace u, which leads to x = x so idk :/

Is the PDE [tex]
y\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} - x \frac{\partial z}{\partial y} = xyz[/tex]

Your "relevant equations" is missing the chain rule: [tex]
\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial z}{\partial u} \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial z}{\partial v} \frac{\partial v}{\partial x}[/tex]

Likes etotheipi
@Addez123 , Why do you think that particular change of variables is helpful for this equation?
I had more success writing the equation as ##\frac{z_x}x-\frac{z_y}y=z##, then reasoning that I needed solutions like ##\frac{z_x}x=Az## etc.

Last edited:
Addez has not answered the question asked (#2) which, put another way is: it is not clear what the question is and its formula looks to be a mistranscription so can we be informed/confirmed what our problem is?

epenguin said:
Addez has not answered the question asked (#2) which, put another way is: it is not clear what the question is and its formula looks to be a mistranscription so can we be informed/confirmed what our problem is?
It is obvious enough that ##x_x## is a typo for ##z_x##, and that the primes in ##z'_x## etc. are redundant. In post #1, @Addez123 differentiated the expression substituted for z partially wrt x and wrote the result as ##z'_x=...##.

1. What is a partial differential equation?

A partial differential equation (PDE) is a mathematical equation that involves multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. It describes how a function changes with respect to these variables.

2. What is substitution in the context of solving PDEs?

Substitution is a technique used to solve PDEs by replacing the original variables with new variables in order to simplify the equation. This allows for a more straightforward solution process and can help to eliminate terms that make the equation difficult to solve.

3. How do you choose which substitution to use?

The choice of substitution depends on the form of the PDE and the variables involved. Typically, substitutions are chosen to eliminate terms or to transform the PDE into a more manageable form. It may take some trial and error to find the most effective substitution.

4. What are some common substitutions used in solving PDEs?

Some common substitutions include u-substitution, v-substitution, and w-substitution. These involve replacing the original variables with a single new variable. Other substitutions may involve using trigonometric functions or exponential functions.

5. Are there any limitations to using substitution to solve PDEs?

While substitution can be a powerful tool in solving PDEs, it may not always be possible to find a suitable substitution. In some cases, the resulting equation after substitution may still be difficult to solve. Additionally, substitution may not work for all types of PDEs, such as non-linear PDEs.