Solveing differential equations system using diagonal matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a system of differential equations using eigenvalues and eigenvectors. The process involves finding a matrix P such that P^-1AP is a diagonal matrix, and then using this to find the solutions for U and X. The correctness of the solution is verified by checking if it satisfies the given system.
jey1234

Homework Statement

Solve this system of differential equations

\begin{equation}
x'_1=5x_1 + 2 x_2 - x_3 \\
x'_2=-2x_1 + x_2 - 2x_3 \\
x'_3=-6x_1 - 6 x_2
\end{equation}

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my first time solving a problem like this and I just wanted to make sure if what I did was correct.

Using the eigenvalues and eigenvectors, I found the matrix [itex]P[/itex] such that [itex]P^{-1} AP[/itex] is a diagonal matrix where [itex]A[/itex] is the coefficient matrix of the system above.

[itex]P=[/itex]
\begin{pmatrix}
0&-1&-1\\
1&1&0\\
2&0&1
\end{pmatrix}

[itex]P^{-1} AP=[/itex]
\begin{pmatrix}
-3&0&0\\
0&3&0\\
0&0&6
\end{pmatrix}

----------

I am sure everything above is correct. So assuming it is correct, is the following process correct?

[itex]U'=(P^{-1} AP)U[/itex]

\begin{equation}
u'_1=-3u_1 \\
u'_2=3u_2 \\
u'_3=6u_3
\end{equation}

\begin{equation}
u_1=c_1e^{-3x} \\
u_2=c_2e^{3x} \\
u_3=c_3e^{6x}
\end{equation}

[itex]U=[/itex]
\begin{pmatrix}
c_1e^{-3x} \\
c_2e^{3x} \\
c_3e^{6x}
\end{pmatrix}

[itex]X=PU[/itex]

I understand this is pretty long. I'd appreciate if someone can just give a quick look at the process and the substitutions I made (with U and U'). Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind. I just realized I can verify by seeing if my solution satisfies the given system. And it does. So I guess that means my soultion is correct. :)

1. What is a diagonal matrix?

A diagonal matrix is a square matrix where all the elements outside the main diagonal (from top left to bottom right) are equal to zero. The main diagonal contains all the non-zero elements.

2. How are diagonal matrices used in solving differential equation systems?

Diagonal matrices are used to simplify the process of solving differential equation systems by reducing the number of variables and equations involved. This is because the diagonal elements of the matrix represent the coefficients of the variables in the equations.

3. What is the advantage of using diagonal matrices in solving differential equation systems?

The advantage of using diagonal matrices is that they can be easily manipulated and solved using basic algebraic operations. This simplifies the process of solving differential equations and makes it more efficient.

4. Can any differential equation system be solved using diagonal matrices?

No, not all differential equation systems can be solved using diagonal matrices. Only systems that can be represented as a system of linear equations can be solved using diagonal matrices.

5. Are there any limitations to using diagonal matrices in solving differential equation systems?

One limitation of using diagonal matrices is that they can only be used for linear systems. Non-linear systems cannot be solved using diagonal matrices. Additionally, diagonal matrices may not always be the most efficient or accurate method for solving differential equation systems, depending on the complexity of the system.