Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving 1d Helmholtz with boundary conditions

1. Feb 9, 2010 #1
    Hello all,
    This is to do with forced longitudinal vibration of a rod (bar).
    It's basically a problem to do with the linearised plane wave equation (1d).

The rod is fixed firmly at one end, and excited at the other by a harmonic force.

The wave equation (with constant rho/E instead of 1/c^2) is reduced to the helmholtz equation, which is fine. But the boundary conditions which exist (in this example) are at x=0, u=0 (u=displacement) and at x=L, (AE)*du(x,t)/dx=Fcos(wt)

This leads to the solution of the plane wave equation which is:
    anyway, there is a time dependence there which I'm not really wanting.
    How do I remove this? Basically, i don't know if you noticed but I am lost!

At the end of it all i'm looking for the point mobility.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2010 #2
    Sorry, but I think I don't understand your meaning.... you excite the end with an harmonic force, and you don't want the solution to depend on time?....
    Making some guessing, you say you get to a hemholtz equation. That amounts to assume your solution goes as [tex]u(x,t)=cos(\omega t)u(x)[/tex], and then, you can factor out the time dependency, both in the equation and in the boundary condition (AE u'(x)=F). The resulting system gives you u(x), with no time factor
  4. Feb 12, 2010 #3
    Ok I can probably make a bit more sense now hopefully...
    I have the general solution u(x,t)= Aexp(j(wt-kx))+Bexp(j(wt+kx))
    I can find the coefficients A and B of this equation by using the boundary conditions present, this is all fine.
    However, when the coefficients are put back in I am still left with wt. I know it's a stupid question but I'm having a prolonged mental block on what to do next!
    I just want it to depend on frequency, so what do I have to do to get this?
  5. Feb 12, 2010 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The bar is vibrating, with a cos(wt) time dependence. It sounds like you want the "amplitude" of the bar, which is obtained by saying cos(wt)=1 in your expression.
    It's not clear to me, from your expression, if there is a frequency dependence there.
  6. Feb 20, 2010 #5
    Ok, I finally found out where I was going wrong. In case anyone finds the information useful,
    You assume a solution of:
    U(x,t)=A*exp(jkx) +B*exp(-jkx)
    Then substitute in the boundary conditions ie at x=l, u(x)=0 since it is fixed at one end.
    The other boundary condition is at x=0, -F=EA*(partial(du/dx)).
    Differentiate u with respect to x, and let x=0.
    Doing this gets the values of A and B and the solution.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook