1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving 2.52 Elevator Problem how to calculate time of a complete trip?

1. Oct 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi everyone, Im just wondering how you would solve this question..
    2. Elevator Problem (Practice on Segmented Motion)
    A hotel elevator ascends 200 m with maximum speed of 5 m/s. Its acceleration and
    deceleration both have a magnitude of 1.0 m/s
    How long does it take to make a complete trip from bottom to top.

2. Relevant equations
    xf = xi + vi Δt + 1/2aΔt^2
    v = vi + a*t

3. The attempt at a solution
    There was another part to this question which asked me to solve for how far the elevator will move while accelerating to full speed from rest, and I got 12.5 m for that.
    Do I plug in 12.5 m into this equation and solve for t? Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2012 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF crystaldreams!

Assuming you did the first part right (EDIT: and you did), then the elevator will accelerate upward for the first 12.5 m, cruise at the max speed for 175 m, and then accelerate downward (meaning decelerate: i.e. reduce its upward speed) for the final 12.5 m, bringing it to a rest at the top. All you have to do is calculate the time required for each of these three phases of motion using the kinematics equations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook