Elevator going up with constant velocity but changing acceleration

In summary, an elevator goes up 180 m by first accelerating at a constant rate of 1.0 m/s2, then staying at a constant speed of 9 m/s, and finally decelerating at a constant rate of -1.0 m/s2. To find the time it takes for the elevator to go from bottom to top, we can use the equation d = vit + 1/2at2, where d is the distance travelled, vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. For the first part of the journey, we can plug in the values of d = 180 m, vi = 0 m/s, and a = 1.0 m
alexs2jennisha

Homework Statement

An elevator goes up 180 m by first accelerating at a constant rate of 1.0 m/s2, then staying at a constant
speed of 9 m/s and then decelerating at a constant rate of -­‐‑1.0 m/s2. How much time does it take the
elevator to go from bottom to top?

so i know that d = 180m
a = 1.0 m/ssfor the first part
v = 9 m/s
and for the last part a = -1 m/ss

Homework Equations

Im not sure which kinematics to use, there are two that I tried using

d=vit + 1/2at2

and

vf = vi + at

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find the time for the part where the elevator is accelerating by doing

9 = 0 + 1t

so t = 9s

then I tried to find the distance for which the elevator was going up by doing

d = 0(9) + 1/2(1)(92) and got d = 40.5

so then the d for when its decelerating is 139.5 which i plugged into

d=vit + 1/2at2

and tried to solve for t but i ended up getting a weird answer with a square root.

am i approaching the problem the right way? or am i completely wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
alexs2jennisha said:

Homework Statement

An elevator goes up 180 m by first accelerating at a constant rate of 1.0 m/s2, then staying at a constant
speed of 9 m/s
and then decelerating at a constant rate of -­‐‑1.0 m/s2. How much time does it take the
elevator to go from bottom to top?

so i know that d = 180m
a = 1.0 m/ssfor the first part
v = 9 m/s
and for the last part a = -1 m/ss

Homework Equations

Im not sure which kinematics to use, there are two that I tried using

d=vit + 1/2at2

and

vf = vi + at

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find the time for the part where the elevator is accelerating by doing

9 = 0 + 1t

so t = 9s

then I tried to find the distance for which the elevator was going up by doing

d = 0(9) + 1/2(1)(92) and got d = 40.5

correct so far...

alexs2jennisha said:
so then the d for when its decelerating is 139.5

It also travels some distance with constant velocity...

ehild

1. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration in an elevator?

Velocity refers to the speed and direction of an object's motion, while acceleration refers to the rate at which an object's velocity changes. In an elevator, velocity remains constant as it moves upward, but the acceleration changes as the elevator starts and stops.

2. Why does an elevator have a constant velocity while its acceleration changes?

An elevator has a constant velocity because the forces acting on it are balanced, resulting in no change in speed or direction. However, the acceleration changes as the elevator starts or stops due to the unbalanced forces from the elevator's motor and brakes.

3. How does an elevator's constant velocity affect the passengers inside?

When an elevator is moving at a constant velocity, passengers inside will feel as if they are standing still, as they are moving at the same speed as the elevator. However, when the elevator's acceleration changes, passengers will feel a change in their weight due to the unbalanced forces acting on them.

4. Can an elevator's constant velocity be affected by external forces?

In most cases, an elevator's constant velocity is not affected by external forces, as the elevator shaft and cables are designed to support the weight of the elevator and its passengers. However, in rare cases, extreme weather conditions or earthquakes can cause external forces that may affect the elevator's velocity.

5. How does the concept of inertia apply to an elevator's constant velocity and changing acceleration?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. In an elevator, the passengers and objects inside have inertia and will continue to move at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an unbalanced force, such as the elevator starting or stopping. This is why passengers may feel a sudden jolt or change in weight when the elevator's acceleration changes.