Solving a Basic RC Circuit: Charge on Capacitor from 537 to 195 μC

In summary, in order to calculate the time it takes for the charge on the capacitor to drop from 537 μC to 195 μC, you can use the time constant equation Qf= Qo e^-t/T, where T is the time constant, or R x C. By converting the given values to SI units and solving the equation, you can find the time it takes for the charge to drop. This method was successful for the student in completing an online assignment.
CompEguy

Homework Statement

The capacitor in the circuit has 537 μC of charge on it at t=0. The resistor is 1,923 Ohms, and the capacitor is 1,251 microFarads

How long will it take for the charge on the capacitor to drop to 195 μC?

Please use only SI (metric) system units in your answer!

Homework Equations

?? I do not know.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am so lost.

Attachments

• pic1302_8_1_RCcircuit.gif
    pic1302_8_1_RCcircuit.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 474
Physics news on Phys.org
CompEguy said:

Homework Statement

The capacitor in the circuit has 537 μC of charge on it at t=0. The resistor is 1,923 Ohms, and the capacitor is 1,251 microFarads

How long will it take for the charge on the capacitor to drop to 195 μC?

Please use only SI (metric) system units in your answer!

Homework Equations

?? I do not know.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am so lost.

Use the time constant equation for a drop:

Qf= Qo e^-t/T, where T is the time constant, or R x C. You know or can find all of these variables, and solve the equation for t. Make sure you convert your C to Farads.

I think this is correct. I'm only an undergrad student, but just had an exam containing RC circuits and did really well.

Thank you. This did work. It is an online assignment so I can check my answer right away.

CompEguy said:
Thank you. This did work. It is an online assignment so I can check my answer right away.

Cool. Glad I actually did learn something in Physics class lol.

What is a basic RC circuit?

A basic RC circuit is a circuit that contains a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series or in parallel. It is commonly used in electronics to control the flow of electric current and to store and release electrical energy.

How do you solve a basic RC circuit?

To solve a basic RC circuit, you need to first calculate the total resistance (R) and capacitance (C) of the circuit. Then, you can use the formula Q=CV to calculate the charge (Q) on the capacitor at a specific time. You can also use the formula I=V/R to calculate the current (I) in the circuit. Finally, you can use Kirchhoff's voltage law and current law to solve for any other unknown values.

What is the significance of the charge on a capacitor in a basic RC circuit?

The charge on a capacitor in a basic RC circuit represents the amount of electrical energy that is stored in the capacitor. It is an important factor in determining the behavior of the circuit, such as how quickly the capacitor charges and discharges and the amount of current flowing through the circuit at a given time.

What factors can affect the charge on a capacitor in a basic RC circuit?

The charge on a capacitor in a basic RC circuit can be affected by the capacitance of the capacitor, the voltage of the circuit, the resistance of the circuit, and the amount of time that has passed since the capacitor was charged. Additionally, any changes in the circuit components or external factors such as temperature can also affect the charge on the capacitor.

Why is it important to understand how to solve a basic RC circuit?

Understanding how to solve a basic RC circuit is important for anyone working in the field of electronics or electrical engineering. It allows for the design and analysis of various electronic circuits and systems, and can also be applied to real-world problems such as energy storage, filtering, and signal processing. Additionally, it helps to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are useful in many areas of science and technology.