1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving a first order linear differential equation by variation of parameters

1. Jul 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have to solve the following differential equation by the "variation of parameters" method.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}x +2y = 3x[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The associated homogeneous equation of the initial equation is:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = -2x^{-1}y[/tex]

So

[tex]\frac{1}{y}dy = -2x^{-1}dx[/tex]

[tex]ln(y) = -2ln(x)[/tex]

[tex]ln(y) = ln(x^{-2})[/tex]

[tex]y = x^{-2}[/tex]

Unfortunately, this doesn't satisfy the homogeneous equation.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2009 #2

djeitnstine

Gold Member

Where did the '3' go to? When you divide by x it is [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=3-2\frac{y}{x}[/tex] not [tex]-2\frac{y}{x}[/tex]

Then you do the substitution v=y/x, then it comes easy.

4. Jul 19, 2009 #3

djeitnstine

Gold Member

Double post

5. Jul 19, 2009 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

You can use djeitnstine guide OR divide by x and then use an integrating factor. But you said you had a certain method to use.

Since that is the case then you should know that y1=x-2 is a solution of the homogenous equation. So just find the Wronskian of y1, which should be easy and just put it into the formula.

6. Jul 19, 2009 #5
    I'm sorry I didn't clarify in my earlier post - I'm supposed to take an equation of the form [tex] y' + p(x)y = q(x)[/tex], set the right hand side of my equation to zero, solve that equation by using separation of variables, and then take the homogeneous equation result as yh*u and substitute that back into the original differential equation, and get another separable equation. So I do the following with the answer to the homogeneous equation above and the original equation:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}(x^{-2}u) + 2x^{-1}x^{-2}u = 3[/tex]

=

[tex]-2x^{-1}u + x^{-2}\frac{du}{dx} + 2x^{-3}u = 3[/tex]

The way it's supposed to work is that the first term and the third term cancel, leaving me with a linear differential equation in du/dx to solve. However, in this case it doesn't seem to be working out that way...

7. Jul 20, 2009 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

-2-1= -3, not -1.

The derivative of x-2 is -2x-3, not -2x-1.

8. Jul 20, 2009 #7
    :facepalm: Yeah, that's the problem. Getting my differentiation and integration confused again.:cry:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook