Solving a PDE with elementary methods

In summary, this student is trying to solve a PDE, but is having trouble doing so. They are looking for a general solution and are trying to solve it using partial differentiations and equations. They set up two equations in order to do this, but one of the coefficients is set to zero which leaves the problem with one unknown. They end up solving for the unknown using the equation for the derivative with respect to the s term. Lastly, they note that this method might be useful for more difficult problems.
Emspak

Homework Statement

OK, a PDE: $$a\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} + b \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = u$$

we want the general solution.

2. The attempt at a solution

So, I'll set up a couple of equations thus:
r = m11x + m21t
s = m12x + m22t

(We have a nice matrix of m here if we want).

partially differentiating both:[itex] \frac{\partial r}{\partial x}= m_{11},\frac{\partial r}{\partial t}= m_{12}, \frac{\partial s}{\partial x}= m_{21}, \frac{\partial s}{\partial t}= m_{22} [/itex]

and plugging them back into the original PDE we get: $$ \frac{\partial u}{\partial t}= \frac{\partial u}{\partial r}\frac{\partial r}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}\frac{\partial s}{\partial t}= m_{12} \frac{\partial u}{\partial r}+ m_{22}\frac{\partial u}{\partial s} $$ and $$ \frac{\partial u}{\partial x}= \frac{\partial u}{\partial s}\frac{\partial s}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial u}{\partial r}\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}= m_{21} \frac{\partial u}{\partial s}+ m_{11}\frac{\partial u}{\partial r}=u$$

from there I substitute into the original PDE and got: $$a\left(m_{12} \frac{\partial u}{\partial r}+ m_{22} \frac{\partial u}{\partial s} \right) + b\left(m_{11} \frac{\partial u}{\partial r}+ m_{21} \frac{\partial u}{\partial s} \right) \Rightarrow (am_{12}+bm_{11}) \frac{\partial u}{\partial r}+ (am_{22}+bm_{21}) \frac{\partial u}{\partial s} =u$$

So I want to get rid of one of the partials. The simplest way to do that is to set one of the coefficients equal to zero. So:
am12+bm11=0. That makes m12=-b and m11=a. So my r from above is r=ax-bt.

That leaves me with
[itex]\left(am_{22}+bm_{21}\right)\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}=u[/itex]

and I can set [itex]\left(am_{22}+bm_{21}\right)= 1[/itex] leaving [itex]m_{22} = \frac{1}{a}[/itex] and [itex]m_{21}=0[/itex]. From the equation for [itex]s[/itex]above that leaves us with [itex]s=\frac{1}{a}t[/itex] and we go back to the partials.

Since we set the coefficient of [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}[/itex] equal to 1 we are left with [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}=u[/itex] and that is a simple ODE that reduces to [itex]u=Ce^{-s}[/itex] and
Since $$u=f(r)e^{-s} = f(ax-bt)e^{-s}= f(ax-bt)e^{-\frac{t}{a}}$$ as our general solution.

So how did I do? We're still in the beginning of the class, and this was one of the problems that is supposed to explore "easy" methods; I know that the method of characteristics would be better.

Physics news on Phys.org
Emspak said:

Homework Statement

OK, a PDE: $$a\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} + b \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = u$$

we want the general solution.

2. The attempt at a solution

So, I'll set up a couple of equations thus:
r = m11x + m21t
s = m12x + m22t

(We have a nice matrix of m here if we want).

partially differentiating both:[itex] \frac{\partial r}{\partial x}= m_{11},\frac{\partial r}{\partial t}= m_{12}, \frac{\partial s}{\partial x}= m_{21}, \frac{\partial s}{\partial t}= m_{22} [/itex]

and plugging them back into the original PDE we get: $$ \frac{\partial u}{\partial t}= \frac{\partial u}{\partial r}\frac{\partial r}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}\frac{\partial s}{\partial t}= m_{12} \frac{\partial u}{\partial r}+ m_{22}\frac{\partial u}{\partial s} $$ and $$ \frac{\partial u}{\partial x}= \frac{\partial u}{\partial s}\frac{\partial s}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial u}{\partial r}\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}= m_{21} \frac{\partial u}{\partial s}+ m_{11}\frac{\partial u}{\partial r}=u$$

from there I substitute into the original PDE and got: $$a\left(m_{12} \frac{\partial u}{\partial r}+ m_{22} \frac{\partial u}{\partial s} \right) + b\left(m_{11} \frac{\partial u}{\partial r}+ m_{21} \frac{\partial u}{\partial s} \right) \Rightarrow (am_{12}+bm_{11}) \frac{\partial u}{\partial r}+ (am_{22}+bm_{21}) \frac{\partial u}{\partial s} =u$$

So I want to get rid of one of the partials. The simplest way to do that is to set one of the coefficients equal to zero. So:
am12+bm11=0. That makes m12=-b and m11=a. So my r from above is r=ax-bt.

That leaves me with
[itex]\left(am_{22}+bm_{21}\right)\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}=u[/itex]

and I can set [itex]\left(am_{22}+bm_{21}\right)= 1[/itex] leaving [itex]m_{22} = \frac{1}{a}[/itex] and [itex]m_{21}=0[/itex]. From the equation for [itex]s[/itex]above that leaves us with [itex]s=\frac{1}{a}t[/itex] and we go back to the partials.

Since we set the coefficient of [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}[/itex] equal to 1 we are left with [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}=u[/itex] and that is a simple ODE that reduces to [itex]u=Ce^{-s}[/itex]

The solution of [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial s} = u[/itex] is [itex]u = C(r)e^s[/itex]. Aside from that your work is correct.

Likes 1 person
Thanks a lot, I wanted to be sure I wasn't doing something dumb. One other question: I noticed that if I put the m terms into a matrix I get: [itex]
\begin{pmatrix}
a & -b \\
0 & \frac{1}{a}\\
\end{pmatrix}
[/itex]

and the determinant is 1. I get the sense that when looking for solutions with this method that could be important. Is there a good way to use this fact to come up with (relatively) easy coefficients (the mmn values)?

Emspak said:
Thanks a lot, I wanted to be sure I wasn't doing something dumb. One other question: I noticed that if I put the m terms into a matrix I get: [itex]
\begin{pmatrix}
a & -b \\
0 & \frac{1}{a}\\
\end{pmatrix}
[/itex]

and the determinant is 1. I get the sense that when looking for solutions with this method that could be important.

The determinant must be non-zero, or the substitution will not be invertible.

so I could put any numbers there in the matrix as long as they didn't come out to zero, right? (I realize it would be more complicated sometimes but I am just checking).

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE (partial differential equation) is a mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is used to describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives.

2. What are elementary methods for solving PDEs?

Elementary methods for solving PDEs involve using basic mathematical operations such as differentiation and integration, as well as algebraic manipulation and substitution. These methods are often used for simple PDEs with easily recognizable patterns.

3. How do I determine the type of PDE I have?

The type of PDE can be determined by looking at the highest order derivatives present in the equation. For example, if the highest order derivative is a second derivative, it is a second-order PDE. Additionally, the coefficients and variables present can also give clues about the type of PDE.

4. Can all PDEs be solved with elementary methods?

No, not all PDEs can be solved with elementary methods. Some PDEs are too complex and require more advanced techniques, such as numerical methods or the use of special functions. It is important to understand the limitations of elementary methods and seek alternative approaches when necessary.

5. What are some common tips for solving PDEs with elementary methods?

Some tips for solving PDEs with elementary methods include identifying patterns in the equation, using appropriate substitution techniques, and making use of known solutions or boundary conditions. It is also important to carefully check calculations and verify the solution satisfies the original PDE.