1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving a PDE with elementary methods

1. Sep 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

OK, a PDE: $$a\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} + b \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = u$$

we want the general solution.

2. The attempt at a solution

So, I'll set up a couple of equations thus:
    r = m11x + m21t
    s = m12x + m22t

(We have a nice matrix of m here if we want).

partially differentiating both:[itex] \frac{\partial r}{\partial x}= m_{11},\frac{\partial r}{\partial t}= m_{12}, \frac{\partial s}{\partial x}= m_{21}, \frac{\partial s}{\partial t}= m_{22} [/itex]

and plugging them back into the original PDE we get: $$ \frac{\partial u}{\partial t}= \frac{\partial u}{\partial r}\frac{\partial r}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}\frac{\partial s}{\partial t}= m_{12} \frac{\partial u}{\partial r}+ m_{22}\frac{\partial u}{\partial s} $$ and $$ \frac{\partial u}{\partial x}= \frac{\partial u}{\partial s}\frac{\partial s}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial u}{\partial r}\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}= m_{21} \frac{\partial u}{\partial s}+ m_{11}\frac{\partial u}{\partial r}=u$$

from there I substitute in to the original PDE and got: $$a\left(m_{12} \frac{\partial u}{\partial r}+ m_{22} \frac{\partial u}{\partial s} \right) + b\left(m_{11} \frac{\partial u}{\partial r}+ m_{21} \frac{\partial u}{\partial s} \right) \Rightarrow (am_{12}+bm_{11}) \frac{\partial u}{\partial r}+ (am_{22}+bm_{21}) \frac{\partial u}{\partial s} =u$$

So I want to get rid of one of the partials. The simplest way to do that is to set one of the coefficients equal to zero. So:
    am12+bm11=0. That makes m12=-b and m11=a. So my r from above is r=ax-bt.

That leaves me with
    [itex]\left(am_{22}+bm_{21}\right)\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}=u[/itex]

and I can set [itex]\left(am_{22}+bm_{21}\right)= 1[/itex] leaving [itex]m_{22} = \frac{1}{a}[/itex] and [itex]m_{21}=0[/itex]. From the equation for [itex]s[/itex]above that leaves us with [itex]s=\frac{1}{a}t[/itex] and we go back to the partials.

Since we set the coefficient of [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}[/itex] equal to 1 we are left with [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}=u[/itex] and that is a simple ODE that reduces to [itex]u=Ce^{-s}[/itex] and
    Since $$u=f(r)e^{-s} = f(ax-bt)e^{-s}= f(ax-bt)e^{-\frac{t}{a}}$$ as our general solution.

So how did I do? We're still in the beginning of the class, and this was one of the problems that is supposed to explore "easy" methods; I know that the method of characteristics would be better.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2013 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

The solution of [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial s} = u[/itex] is [itex]u = C(r)e^s[/itex]. Aside from that your work is correct.

4. Sep 10, 2013 #3
    Thanks a lot, I wanted to be sure I wasn't doing something dumb. One other question: I noticed that if I put the m terms into a matrix I get: [itex]
    \begin{pmatrix}
    a & -b \\
    0 & \frac{1}{a}\\
    \end{pmatrix}
    [/itex]

and the determinant is 1. I get the sense that when looking for solutions with this method that could be important. Is there a good way to use this fact to come up with (relatively) easy coefficients (the mmn values)?

5. Sep 10, 2013 #4

pasmith

Homework Helper

The determinant must be non-zero, or the substitution will not be invertible.

6. Sep 10, 2013 #5
    so I could put any numbers there in the matrix as long as they didn't come out to zero, right? (I realize it would be more complicated sometimes but I am just checking).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted