1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving a System of Differential Equations

1. Nov 8, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Y' =
    [ -14 0 12
    24 -2 24
    16 0 14 ] Y
    Subject to the condition [itex] y_1 (0) = -6, y_2 (0) = 11, y_3 (0) = 8, find: y_1(t), y_2(t), y_3(t) [/itex]
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is more just to see if my answers are correct than anything, so I begin by finding the eigenvalues of the matrix (checked with an internet calculator so I know this is correct).
    Eigenvalues end up being: -2, -2, and 2.
    I solve for the eigenvectors, which end up being :
    [itex] v_1 = [-1, 0 ,1], v_2 = [0, 1, 0], v_3 = [-3, 6, 4] [/itex]
    Therefore I have the general solution: [itex] Y = C_1 v_1 e^{-2t} + C_2 v_2 t e^{-2t} + C_3 v_3 e^{2t} [/itex]

Using the initial values given, putting it into the matrix and solving it, I end up with:
    [itex] C_1 = -3,
    C_2 = 13/2, C_3 = 4
    [/itex]

However, the question wants me to find [itex] y_1 (t), y_2 (t), and y_3 (t) [/itex]
    It also does not allow me to enter a vector as an answer, so does anyone know how my answer is supposed to be formatted? Or am I going about it wrong? Thank you for any assistance you may provide.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You have this:
    ##Y = C_1 v_1 e^{-2t} + C_2 v_2 t e^{-2t} + C_3 v_3 e^{2t} ##
    With the three vectors and the constants now included, it looks like this:
    $$Y = -3 \begin{bmatrix} -1 \\ 0 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix} e^{-2t} + 13/2 \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \\ 0\end{bmatrix} e^{-2t} + 4 \begin{bmatrix} -3 \\ 6 \\ 4\end{bmatrix} e^{2t} $$

You can get your three solutions out of the above.

Edit: I assumed without checking that the work shown was correct.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  4. Nov 8, 2014 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

How are y1, y2 and y3 related to Y? (Mark beat me to it!)

5. Nov 9, 2014 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you sure that those are the eigenvalues?

6. Nov 9, 2014 #5
    Hmm, I don't know, I've been reading the internet and the textbook but I can't find any clues on what it means.

Also - I'm sure those are the eigenvalues, pretty sure at least, I did them by hand and then checked with wolfram.

7. Nov 9, 2014 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is your characteristic equation?
    It is also possible that you did not copy the matrix correctly. Check, please.

8. Nov 9, 2014 #7
    Oh yes, I'm sorry, for some reason I missed a negative sign on the 12 in the first row.

I kind of get the relationship too, Y = [y1, y2, y3], where y2 = y1' and y3 = y2' if I'm not mistaken, I just don't see how this could be used to get a solution.

9. Nov 9, 2014 #8

Mark44

There's a technique that can be used to convert a second- or higher-order differential equation into a system of linear differential equations, and possibly that's what happened here. If y1 = y, then from the above, y2 = y' and y3 = y'' and y3' = y'''. So an equation in y, y', y'', and y''' can be rewritten as a system of linear equations in y1, y2, and y3.

10. Nov 9, 2014 #9
    Hmm, I just tried that but it seems that the variable 'y' cannot be used in my answer.

11. Nov 9, 2014 #10

Mark44

y is a vector. I'm pretty sure you need to specify y1, y2, and y3 separately.

12. Nov 9, 2014 #11

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I tried to convert the system of equations into a third-order differential equation, but to my surprise, it fell apart to three independent second-order equations: y1"=4y1, y2"=4y2, y3"=4y3. :)

13. Nov 9, 2014 #12

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I got something different. The general solution does not involve a term with t e-2t. (Mark, you omitted the factor t in the second term. Was it a typo?)

14. Nov 10, 2014 #13

Mark44

Yes. I didn't notice the factor of t in the second term of the solution the OP showed in post 1.

15. Nov 10, 2014 #14

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

@Kevin: y1, y2, y3 are the components of the vector Y, and the matrix equation can be expanded into a system of linear differential equation for y1, y2, y3:
    y1'=14y1 - 12y3
    y2'=24y1 -2y2 +24y3
    y3'=16y1+ 14y3.

If you have repeated roots λ of the characteristic equation, take one solution as v1eλt, and the other solution in the form (v2+tv3)eλt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted