Solving a system of ODE with multiple 'time' variables

In summary: No problem...should I infer that without this relation between the t variables I cannot proceed any further?Not necessarily. You should still be able to solve the system. Just keep in mind that since each f, g and h are implicitly dependent on all the t's, so all of x, y and z will also be dependent an all the t's.Also, you won't get neccesarily get constants as initial contitions, but functions. For example, the initial condition for x might be a function of t2 and t3.ok...understood. As initila conditions I have f(0,x,y,z)=c_1, g(0,x,y,z)=c_
cris(c)

Homework Statement

Hi everyone,

Consider the following system of (first order) differential equations:
[itex]\dot{x}=f(t_1,x,y,z) [/itex]
[itex]\dot{y}=g(t_2,x,y,z) [/itex]
[itex]\dot{z}=h(t_3,x,y,z) [/itex]

where [itex]\dot{x}=\frac{\partial x}{\partial t_1}[/itex], [itex]\dot{y}=\frac{\partial y}{\partial t_2}[/itex], and [itex]\dot{z}=\frac{\partial z}{\partial t_3}[/itex].

Homework Equations

All existence theorems I know (picard and peano) are formulated such that [itex]t_1=t_2=t_3[/itex], but I'd like to know how to extend these results to the cae shown above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried reading the proofs to see if I can figure out a way to apply them to this problem, but I can't see how...Does someone knows whether these theorems hold true when [itex]t_1 \neq t_2 \neq t_3[/itex]? Any help/reference where to look for such theorem would be greatly appreciate!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm no ODE guru but it seems to me you need some type of relation between the three t variables.

Thanks for your answer. These variables are independent...what I want are conditions of
the [itex] f [/itex]'s functions to ensure existence and uniqueness without having to solve the system...any idea how I should proceed?

Antiphon said:
I'm no ODE guru but it seems to me you need some type of relation between the three t variables.

Using different differentiation rules, and given a relations [itex]t_2=t_2(t_1)[/itex] and [itex]t_3=t_3(t_1)[/itex], you should be able to reduce the problem to a set of (possibly nonlinear nonautonomous) delay differential equations.

EDIT:
Sorry, I missed your last comment.

espen180 said:
Using different differentiation rules, and given a relations [itex]t_2=t_2(t_1)[/itex] and [itex]t_3=t_3(t_1)[/itex], you should be able to reduce the problem to a set of (possibly nonlinear nonautonomous) delay differential equations.

EDIT:
Sorry, I missed your last comment.

No problem...should I infer that without this relation between the t variables I cannot proceed any further?

Not neccesarily. You should still be able to solve the system. Just keep in mind that since each f, g and h are implicitly dependent on all the t's, so all of x, y and z will also be dependent an all the t's. Also, you won't get neccesarily get constants as initial contitions, but functions. For example, the initial condition for x might be a function of t2 and t3.

espen180 said:
Not neccesarily. You should still be able to solve the system. Just keep in mind that since each f, g and h are implicitly dependent on all the t's, so all of x, y and z will also be dependent an all the t's. Also, you won't get neccesarily get constants as initial contitions, but functions. For example, the initial condition for x might be a function of t2 and t3.

ok...understood. As initila conditions I have [itex]f(0,x,y,z)=c_1[/itex], [itex]g(0,x,y,z)=c_2[/itex], and [itex]h(0,x,y,z)=c_1[/itex], where [itex]c[/itex]'s are constants. I don't want to actually solve the system, I want conditions on the f,g, and h functions that ensures existence (and uniqueness) of some solution. Is there any theorem that might help me?

1. How do I solve a system of ODE with multiple 'time' variables?

To solve a system of ODE with multiple 'time' variables, you first need to identify the differential equations that make up the system. Then, you can use numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods to approximate the solution. Alternatively, you can use analytical methods such as separation of variables or Laplace transforms if the equations are solvable analytically.

2. What are some common challenges when solving a system of ODE with multiple 'time' variables?

Some common challenges when solving a system of ODE with multiple 'time' variables include dealing with non-linear equations, solving for initial conditions, and determining appropriate time steps for numerical methods. It is also important to check for consistency and stability of the solutions.

3. Is it possible to solve a system of ODE with multiple 'time' variables analytically?

Yes, it is possible to solve a system of ODE with multiple 'time' variables analytically if the equations are solvable using analytical methods such as separation of variables or Laplace transforms. However, this may not always be the case, especially with non-linear equations.

4. What are some advantages of using numerical methods to solve a system of ODE with multiple 'time' variables?

Numerical methods allow for the solution of complex systems of ODE with multiple 'time' variables, including non-linear equations. They also provide a way to approximate the solution without having to find a closed-form analytical solution. Additionally, numerical methods can handle large systems of equations and can be easily programmed for computer simulations.

5. Are there any practical applications for solving systems of ODE with multiple 'time' variables?

Yes, there are many practical applications for solving systems of ODE with multiple 'time' variables. Some examples include modeling population dynamics, chemical reactions, and electric circuits. These equations can also be used in engineering and physics to model and predict the behavior of complex systems.