1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving an inverse trig equation

1. Feb 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve for x
    [tex]arcsin(2x) + arccos(x) = \frac{\pi}{6}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Subtracting arccos(x) from both sides and then taking the sine of both sides:
    [tex]2x = sin\left[\frac{\pi}{6} - arccos(x)\right][/tex]

Applying the difference angle identity for sine:
    [tex]2x = sin \frac{\pi}{6} cos[arccos (x)] - cos \frac{\pi}{6} sin [arccos (x)] [/tex]

We can draw a right triangle with a hypotenuse of 1, angle opposite of theta of [tex]\sqrt{1-x^2}[/tex], and angle adjacent to theta of x. From this triangle we can deduce the values of cos( arccos(x) ) and sin( arccos(x) )
    [tex]2x = (\frac{1}{2})x - \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}[/tex]

Multiplying each side by 2, subtracting x from each side, squaring each side, and then dividing each side by 3
    [tex]3x^2 = 1 - x^2[/tex]

Adding x^2 to each side, and then dividing each side by 4
    [tex]x^2 = \frac{1}{4}[/tex]

At this point I need to take the square root of each side. I know it's the negative from trying each out, but how do I show this algebraically?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2009 #2
    When you say 2x = x/2 - sqrt(3)/2 sqrt(1-x^2)...

3x = -sqrt(3)sqrt(1-x^2).

But since sqrt(1-x^2) is positive, the RHS is negative, which is true iff the LHS is negative, which is true iff x is negative, so x must be negative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook