Solving an Unsolvable Equation: arctan(x)+arctan(\sqrt{3}x)=\frac{7\pi}{12}

  • Thread starter Thread starter mtayab1994
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 4K views
mtayab1994
Messages
584
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Solve the following equation:

[tex]arctan(x)+arctan(\sqrt{3}x)=\frac{7\pi}{12}[/tex]



The Attempt at a Solution



I multiplied by tan on both sides but since we can exactly calculate tan(7pi/12) i wasn't able to get an answer. Is there something else i can do? Thank you before hand.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mtayab1994 said:

Homework Statement



Solve the following equation:
[tex]arctan(x)+arctan(\sqrt{3}x)=\frac{7\pi}{12}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I multiplied by tan on both sides but since we can exactly calculate tan(7pi/12) i wasn't able to get an answer. Is there something else i can do? Thank you before hand.
That's not multiplying by the tangent, that's taking the tangent of both sides.

After that, do you know the angle addition identity for tangent?

[itex]\displaystyle \tan(\alpha + \beta) = \frac{\tan \alpha + \tan \beta}{1- \tan \alpha \tan \beta}[/itex]
 
SammyS said:
That's not multiplying by the tangent, that's taking the tangent of both sides.

After that, do you know the angle addition identity for tangent?

[itex]\displaystyle \tan(\alpha + \beta) = \frac{\tan \alpha + \tan \beta}{1- \tan \alpha \tan \beta}[/itex]

yes that's exactly what i did and I got:

[tex]1+\sqrt{3}x=tan(\frac{7\pi}{12})-\sqrt{3}x^{2}tan(\frac{7\pi}{12})[/tex]

Should i factor out with tan on the right side to get tan(7pi/12)(1-√3x^2) or what?


I know the answer will be x=1 because arctan(1)+arctan(sqrt(3))=pi/4+pi/3=7pi/12
 
Last edited:
mtayab1994 said:
yes that's exactly what i did and I got:

[tex]1+\sqrt{3}x=tan(\frac{7\pi}{12})-\sqrt{3}x^{2}tan(\frac{7\pi}{12})[/tex]

Should i factor out with tan on the right side to get tan(7pi/12)(1-√3x^2) or what?
I get [itex](1+\sqrt{3})x=tan(\frac{7\pi}{12})-\sqrt{3}x^{2}tan(\frac{7\pi}{12})\ .[/itex]

I would divide by tan(7π/12).

Write in standard form for a quadratic equation.

Have you evaluated tan(7π/12) ?
 
SammyS said:
I get [itex](1+\sqrt{3})x=tan(\frac{7\pi}{12})-\sqrt{3}x^{2}tan(\frac{7\pi}{12})\ .[/itex]

I would divide by tan(7π/12).

Write in standard form for a quadratic equation.

Have you evaluated tan(7π/12) ?


nevermind i got it because tan(7pi/12) is tan(pi/4+pi/3)
 
Using the relation provided by SammyS, hopefully you got to [tex]\arctan\frac{x + \sqrt{3}x}{1-\sqrt{3}x^2} = \frac{7\pi}{12}[/tex]

Take tangent of both sides: [itex]\tan(\frac{7\pi}{12})[/itex] as a sum of two angles and use the double angle relation (again) to find this.

Equate the above two and solve for x
 
Beware of possible extraneous solutions.