Solving Audio Sources Doubt - Devanand T

In summary, two audio sources can be heard as a single sound if their levels, frequencies, and other characteristics are balanced. The resulting audio signal is the sum of the two signals.
dexterdev
Audio sources doubt...

hi all,
I don't know where to post this. sorry for that.

My doubt is that if there are 2 audio sources like one mp3 music file playing from a cd player and another speech signal coming from a radio. If I can hear both signals, what is the resultant audio signal which my ear hears. Does the mathematical operation done is addition of those signals and then hear it as a single sound or any other operation.

- Devanand T

Engineering news on Phys.org

The ears (together with the brain) form a very sophisticated detector. You can easily separate signals based on their different originating directions, so you would be recognizing two different sources. Even were you to mix the signals so that they originated from the same location, your brain can readily separate them based on the different levels/frequency spectrum/content, etc., so again you would be hearing two different sources. (That explains why you can make out the words someone is speaking at a party, even when there are many other voices, some louder, all around.)

Maybe you could record one track of a musical hit on a CD, and another track of the same music on an mp3, and then play these synchronized and originating from the same point in a room. Then you may succeed in having the ears believe they are hearing only one source, that being the sum of those two.

The ears themselves sense the sum of the two signals; it's the brain that takes credit for performing all the complex processing, of course.

dexterdev said:
hi all,
I don't know where to post this. sorry for that.

My doubt is that if there are 2 audio sources like one mp3 music file playing from a cd player and another speech signal coming from a radio. If I can hear both signals, what is the resultant audio signal which my ear hears. Does the mathematical operation done is addition of those signals and then hear it as a single sound or any other operation.

- Devanand T

The sound pressure waves into your ears are a single sound, and it is the superposition (like you said, it is addition) of all of the different sounds at any instant that they are arriving at your ear. With respect to NascentOxygen's post, the superposition coming in will be dependent on the phase and amplitude of each individual sound signal, and so there is still information that let's your brain/signal processor tell the difference between the sounds.

An interesting effect of this is comb filtering, where 2 sounds can add together at your ear, and, depending on where they came from, they can interfere with each other (they are out of phase). I think audio technicians and producers can use this to optimize their recording studios.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comb_filter

A field of signal processing takes advantage of this comb filter effect in something called the cepstrum.

Last edited:

When you have two sine waves with frequencies that are close together, you can hear what's know as beats.

beatsmall.gif

By varying the difference between these tones, you can vary the "beat frequency". Here are some animations with sound to see how this works.

Interference beats and Tartini tones

thanks for the replies guys

1. How do you determine the source of an audio recording?

Determining the source of an audio recording can be done through various methods, such as analyzing the frequency patterns, comparing it with known recordings, or using specialized software to identify unique characteristics of the recording.

2. Can audio sources be altered or manipulated?

Yes, audio sources can be altered or manipulated through various techniques, such as editing, mixing, and mastering. However, there are methods to detect and analyze these alterations, such as spectral analysis and waveform comparison.

3. What are some challenges in solving audio sources doubt?

Some challenges in solving audio sources doubt include low-quality recordings, background noise, overlapping sounds, and intentional manipulation of the audio. It requires a combination of technical expertise, critical thinking, and attention to detail to overcome these challenges.

4. What is the importance of solving audio sources doubt?

Solving audio sources doubt is important in various fields, such as forensic investigations, audio engineering, and copyright infringement cases. It ensures the accuracy and authenticity of audio recordings and can provide valuable evidence in legal cases.

5. What skills and knowledge are needed to effectively solve audio sources doubt?

To effectively solve audio sources doubt, one needs a strong understanding of audio signal processing, acoustics, and music theory. Familiarity with various audio editing and analysis software is also crucial. Attention to detail, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills are also essential in this process.