1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving boundary value problem (Wave Equation)

1. Oct 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the boundary-value problem $$u_{tt}=u_{xx}\qquad u(x,0)=2f(x)\qquad u_t(x,0)=2g(x)$$ has the solution $$u(x,t)=f(x+t)+f(x-t)+G(x+t)-G(x-t)$$ where ##G## is an antiderivative/indefinite integral of ##g##. Here, we assume that ##-\infty<x<\infty## and ##t\geq 0##

2. Relevant equations

I know that the solution for a wave equation of the form ##u_{tt}=a^2u_{xx}## is ##u(x,t)=f(x+at)+g(x-at)##

3. The attempt at a solution

Using the "knowledge" above, I tried to take the first partial derivative of ##u(x,t)=f(x+t)+g(x-t)## with respect to ##t## since ##a=1##. I got ##u_t(x,t)=f'(x+t)-g'(x-t)## Then using the conditions ##u(x,0)=2f(x)## and ##u_t(x,0)=2g(x)##, I substituted 0 for ##t## and set them equal to ##2f(x)## and ##2g(x)##.

I came up with ##f(x)=g(x)=\frac{1}{2}(f'(x)-g'(x))##, which I thought could also be ##\frac{1}{2}(f'(x)-G(x))##. But then I got stuck because I have no idea how to get to $$u(x,t)=f(x+t)+f(x-t)+G(x+t)-G(x-t)$$

Part of my confusion is that I only have initial conditions and no boundary conditions, and all the examples I can find have boundary conditions as well, not just initial.

Thanks so much if you can help :smile: I might just be missing something because I'm in freak out mode about my test tomorrow on this stuff! This is a numerical methods for differential equations class by the way.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let's say ##u(x,t) = F(x+t) + G(x-t)## since we don't want to confuse the general solution with the ##f## and ##g## given in the problem. And we have ##a=1##.

Good so far, but let's use the capital letters.

##u(x,t)=F(x+t)+G(x-t)##
    ##u_t(x,t)=F'(x+t)-G'(x-t)##
    This should give you

##F(x)+G(x) = 2f(x)##
    ##F'(x)-G'(x) = 2g(x)##

Part of your trouble is confusing the capital F and G with the little f and g. What you want to do next is integrate the equation ##F'(x)-G'(x) = 2g(x)## giving$$
    F(x) - G(x) = 2\int g(x)\, dx =2 H(x)$$
    where I am just using ##H## for the antiderivative of ##g##.

Now work with these two equations:

##F(x)+G(x) = 2f(x)##
    ##F(x) - G(x) = 2H(x)##

to solve for ##F## and ##G##.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  4. Oct 24, 2012 #3
    Wow thank you so so much! :smile:

From the 2 equations I came up with $$F(x)=f(x)+H(x)$$ and $$G(x)=f(x)-H(x)$$ Then adding them gives me essentially exactly what I need but in the problem the solution ##u(x,t)=f(x+t)+f(x−t)+G(x+t)−G(x−t)## uses lower case f and capital G, those aren't like typos or something. You were exactly right that I was thinking that the ##f## and ##g## from the general solution and the conditions were the same thing, when apparently they aren't :redface: So could I just use completely different letters/symbols for the general solution to keep the variables separate?

5. Oct 24, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're welcome
    Yes, that is what you should do. When I wrote up my original reply I hadn't noticed you had already used G or I wouldn't have used it either.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook