Solving boundary value problem (Wave Equation)

It is always best to use different letters when you have different things going on. You could also write ##F(x) = F_1(x)## and ##G(x) = G_1(x)##.
mizzcriss

Homework Statement

Show that the boundary-value problem $$u_{tt}=u_{xx}\qquad u(x,0)=2f(x)\qquad u_t(x,0)=2g(x)$$ has the solution $$u(x,t)=f(x+t)+f(x-t)+G(x+t)-G(x-t)$$ where ##G## is an antiderivative/indefinite integral of ##g##. Here, we assume that ##-\infty<x<\infty## and ##t\geq 0##

Homework Equations

I know that the solution for a wave equation of the form ##u_{tt}=a^2u_{xx}## is ##u(x,t)=f(x+at)+g(x-at)##

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the "knowledge" above, I tried to take the first partial derivative of ##u(x,t)=f(x+t)+g(x-t)## with respect to ##t## since ##a=1##. I got ##u_t(x,t)=f'(x+t)-g'(x-t)## Then using the conditions ##u(x,0)=2f(x)## and ##u_t(x,0)=2g(x)##, I substituted 0 for ##t## and set them equal to ##2f(x)## and ##2g(x)##.

I came up with ##f(x)=g(x)=\frac{1}{2}(f'(x)-g'(x))##, which I thought could also be ##\frac{1}{2}(f'(x)-G(x))##. But then I got stuck because I have no idea how to get to $$u(x,t)=f(x+t)+f(x-t)+G(x+t)-G(x-t)$$

Part of my confusion is that I only have initial conditions and no boundary conditions, and all the examples I can find have boundary conditions as well, not just initial.

Thanks so much if you can help :smile: I might just be missing something because I'm in freak out mode about my test tomorrow on this stuff! This is a numerical methods for differential equations class by the way.

Physics news on Phys.org
mizzcriss said:

Homework Statement

Show that the boundary-value problem $$u_{tt}=u_{xx}\qquad u(x,0)=2f(x)\qquad u_t(x,0)=2g(x)$$ has the solution $$u(x,t)=f(x+t)+f(x-t)+G(x+t)-G(x-t)$$ where ##G## is an antiderivative/indefinite integral of ##g##. Here, we assume that ##-\infty<x<\infty## and ##t\geq 0##

Homework Equations

I know that the solution for a wave equation of the form ##u_{tt}=a^2u_{xx}## is ##u(x,t)=f(x+at)+g(x-at)##

Let's say ##u(x,t) = F(x+t) + G(x-t)## since we don't want to confuse the general solution with the ##f## and ##g## given in the problem. And we have ##a=1##.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the "knowledge" above, I tried to take the first partial derivative of ##u(x,t)=f(x+t)+g(x-t)## with respect to ##t## since ##a=1##. I got ##u_t(x,t)=f'(x+t)-g'(x-t)##

Good so far, but let's use the capital letters.

##u(x,t)=F(x+t)+G(x-t)##
##u_t(x,t)=F'(x+t)-G'(x-t)##
Then using the conditions ##u(x,0)=2f(x)## and ##u_t(x,0)=2g(x)##, I substituted 0 for ##t## and set them equal to ##2f(x)## and ##2g(x)##.

This should give you

##F(x)+G(x) = 2f(x)##
##F'(x)-G'(x) = 2g(x)##

I came up with ##f(x)=g(x)=\frac{1}{2}(f'(x)-g'(x))##, which I thought could also be ##\frac{1}{2}(f'(x)-G(x))##. But then I got stuck because I have no idea how to get to $$u(x,t)=f(x+t)+f(x-t)+G(x+t)-G(x-t)$$

Part of your trouble is confusing the capital F and G with the little f and g. What you want to do next is integrate the equation ##F'(x)-G'(x) = 2g(x)## giving$$
F(x) - G(x) = 2\int g(x)\, dx =2 H(x)$$
where I am just using ##H## for the antiderivative of ##g##.

Now work with these two equations:

##F(x)+G(x) = 2f(x)##
##F(x) - G(x) = 2H(x)##

to solve for ##F## and ##G##.

Last edited:
Wow thank you so so much! :smile:

From the 2 equations I came up with $$F(x)=f(x)+H(x)$$ and $$G(x)=f(x)-H(x)$$ Then adding them gives me essentially exactly what I need but in the problem the solution ##u(x,t)=f(x+t)+f(x−t)+G(x+t)−G(x−t)## uses lower case f and capital G, those aren't like typos or something. You were exactly right that I was thinking that the ##f## and ##g## from the general solution and the conditions were the same thing, when apparently they aren't :redface: So could I just use completely different letters/symbols for the general solution to keep the variables separate?

mizzcriss said:
Wow thank you so so much! :smile:
You're welcome
From the 2 equations I came up with $$F(x)=f(x)+H(x)$$ and $$G(x)=f(x)-H(x)$$ Then adding them gives me essentially exactly what I need but in the problem the solution ##u(x,t)=f(x+t)+f(x−t)+G(x+t)−G(x−t)## uses lower case f and capital G, those aren't like typos or something. You were exactly right that I was thinking that the ##f## and ##g## from the general solution and the conditions were the same thing, when apparently they aren't :redface: So could I just use completely different letters/symbols for the general solution to keep the variables separate?

Yes, that is what you should do. When I wrote up my original reply I hadn't noticed you had already used G or I wouldn't have used it either.

1. What is a boundary value problem?

A boundary value problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding a solution to a differential equation within a given domain, while also satisfying specified boundary conditions at the boundaries of that domain. In the context of the wave equation, the boundary conditions typically involve the initial displacement and velocity of the wave at a given time and position.

2. How is the wave equation used to solve boundary value problems?

The wave equation is a second-order partial differential equation that describes the behavior of waves in a given medium. It can be used to solve boundary value problems by using techniques such as separation of variables or the method of eigenfunction expansion to find a solution that satisfies the given boundary conditions.

3. What are some common techniques for solving boundary value problems?

Some common techniques for solving boundary value problems include the method of eigenfunction expansion, separation of variables, and the use of Green's functions. Other methods such as finite difference, finite element, and spectral methods may also be used depending on the specific problem and its complexity.

4. What are the applications of solving boundary value problems using the wave equation?

The wave equation and its solutions have a wide range of applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. These include modeling the behavior of waves in different media, such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and water waves. It can also be used to study the dynamics of vibrating structures, such as bridges and buildings, and to solve problems in geophysics and seismology.

5. What are the challenges in solving boundary value problems using the wave equation?

Solving boundary value problems using the wave equation can be challenging due to the complexity of the equation and the difficulty in finding exact solutions. In many cases, numerical methods must be used to approximate the solution. Additionally, the choice of boundary conditions and the behavior of the waves in different media can also pose challenges in solving these types of problems.