Solving Bouyant Problems: Homework Statement

• Thread starter victorlee2
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a beaker of water resting on a scale with a submerged block of metal hanging from a spring scale. The question asks for the readings on both scales and the solution involves using Archimedes' principle to find the buoyant force and the weight of the displaced fluid. In a separate conversation, the question involves finding the mass of a frog in a hemispherical pod floating in a fluid with a given density, using the formula for volume of a sphere and converting units correctly.
victorlee2

Homework Statement

A beaker of mass 1.4 kg containing 2.3 kg of water rests on a scale. A 2.8 kg block of a metallic alloy of density 4700 kg/m3 is sus- pended from a spring scale and is submerged in the water of density 1000 kg/m3 as shown in the figure.

(a) What does the hanging scale read? The
acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .
Answer in units of N.
(b) What does the lower scale read?

Homework Equations

P = Po + pgh
Fb = Fdown - F up

The Attempt at a Solution

idk how to start on this one, i noe there's a Fup which P*A but the area is not given. =[ and neither is the heights and stuff so how am i sppose to find the bouyant force? and also for part ( b) is it simply just the mass of the beaker+ mass of water * g? since the fluid displaces is the same as the volumn of the mass

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Use Archimedes' principle to calculate the buoyant force on the block.

The apparent weight " loss " of the object immersed in the fluid = the weight of the liquid displaced.

so in this case, the Fb would be weight of object? and the reading on hanging scale would be Fg - Fb?

victorlee2 said:
The apparent weight " loss " of the object immersed in the fluid = the weight of the liquid displaced.
The buoyant force equals the weight of the displaced fluid.

so in this case, the Fb would be weight of object?
The buoyant force equals the weight of the displaced fluid, not the weight of the object.
and the reading on hanging scale would be Fg - Fb?
Right!

hmm so how exactly do i find the displaced fluid? there's no dimensions for me to find the volumn of the object to find the displaced fluid

victorlee2 said:
hmm so how exactly do i find the displaced fluid? there's no dimensions for me to find the volumn of the object to find the displaced fluid
You have the object's mass and density. Use that information.

but the formula is Fb = p(fluid)gv(submerged) w/o the volume idk how else to solve it.

victorlee2 said:
but the formula is Fb = p(fluid)gv(submerged) w/o the volume idk how else to solve it.
You have all the information needed to find the volume of the object and thus the displaced fluid.

wowww its a simple D = m/v formula -_-'' thnx!

A frog in a hemispherical pod finds that he
just floats without sinking in a fluid with a
density of 1.27 g/cm3.

If the pod has a radius of 5.4 cm and negli-
gible mass, what is the mass of the frog?
Answer in units of kg.

Alright so for this one i converted the density to kg/m3 first so it would be .00127m/kg3.
i also converted the radius which turned out to be .0054m. now i tried to find the volume by using the volume of the sphere and divide it by half. it turns out to be some VERY VERY small decimal and the answer was wrong.

victorlee2 said:
Alright so for this one i converted the density to kg/m3 first so it would be .00127m/kg3.
Redo that conversion--you've got it backwards.
i also converted the radius which turned out to be .0054m.
Redo that one as well.

Related to Solving Bouyant Problems: Homework Statement

What are buoyant problems?

Buoyant problems refer to physics problems that involve objects floating or sinking in a fluid, such as water or air. These problems typically require the application of Archimedes' principle and the calculation of buoyant force.

What is Archimedes' principle?

Archimedes' principle states that the buoyant force on an object submerged in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This principle is crucial in solving buoyant problems and can be expressed as FB = ρVg, where FB is the buoyant force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the displaced fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How do you calculate the buoyant force?

The buoyant force can be calculated using the formula FB = ρVg, where ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the displaced fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. To calculate the volume of the displaced fluid, you can use the formula V = Ah, where A is the area of the object and h is the depth of the submerged object.

What is the difference between floating and sinking?

When an object is floating in a fluid, it experiences an upward buoyant force that is equal to its weight. This means that the object is in equilibrium and remains at the surface of the fluid. On the other hand, when an object is sinking, the buoyant force is less than the weight of the object, causing it to sink to the bottom of the fluid.

What are some real-life applications of buoyant problems?

Buoyant problems have many real-life applications, such as determining the stability of ships and submarines, designing hot air balloons, and understanding the behavior of aquatic animals. These principles also play a crucial role in industries such as oil and gas, where the buoyancy of objects must be carefully considered in offshore operations.