Solving Differential Equations

In summary, the conversation involves solving the equation xdx = y^{2}dy using the fundamental theorem of calculus. After some initial mistakes, the correct solution is found by integrating both sides of the equation, resulting in y = \sqrt[3]{\frac{3x^{2}}{2}}. The conversation then moves on to solving a different equation, \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{1 + y}{1 + x}, using the same method, with the final solution being y = x + C.
mrmonkah

Homework Statement

Solve the following: xdx = y[tex]^{2}[/tex]dy

Homework Equations

Fundamental theorem of calculus - thanks gabbagabbahey

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{x}{y^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{x}{y^{2}}[/tex]

=[tex]\frac{x^{2}}{2y^{2}}[/tex]

So with the question, I've integrated both sides to find y^2 on the bottom, so should i rearrange to find y on the LHS and the x on the RHS?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mrmonkah said:

Homework Equations

NA

Unless NA is your abbreviation for the fundamental theorem of calculus, you are mistaken :wink:

[tex]\stackrel{dy}{dx}[/tex] = [tex]\stackrel{y^{2}}{x}[/tex]

What happens if you integrate both sides of the equation [itex]x=y^2\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] with respect to [itex]x[/itex]?

Hi gabbagabbahey,

Sorry, i am just getting to grips with the funky math features on the site, so my translation from paper to web isn't vry good. First of all i put in a monster mistake on the web, working on correcting this now.

Okay, more or less fixed now... thanks again Gabb

Right, so carrying on from my first post,

if i rearrange for y, i get:

y = [tex]\sqrt{\frac{x^{2}}{2}}[/tex]

Your starting point is

[tex]x dx = y^2 dy[/tex]

Right?

You can just integrate both sides right there. Start with that.

Ok, so if i integrate both sides i get:

[tex]\frac{x^{2}}{2}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{y^{3}}{3}[/tex]

and y = [tex]\sqrt[3]{\frac{3x^{2}}{2}}[/tex]

Surely this isn't right is it? I don't recall coming across cubic roots in 'this particular' module. (I am simply looking for familiarity with the rest of the course)

You forgot the plus C.

Ahh okay fair enough Char.Limit, i am confused as to why re-arranging the initial equation (as i did earlier) yields such a different result?

It's mainly because you can't integrate x/y^2 dx, because y also depends on x.

So you can see why you couldn't integrate...

[tex]\int \frac{x}{y^2(x)} dx[/tex]

Oh i see now. So with questions like these, i should generally keep all the y's on one side and the x's on the other? Ill attempt another question and post it to see if i have my head in the right place. Thank you Char.Limit, and as ever, you make a good point.

No problem. Glad I could help.

Homework Statement

Solve the following: [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1 + y}{1 + x}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Fundamental theorem of calculus - thanks gabbagabbahey

Re-arranging to get y terms and x terms on opposite sides:

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{dy}{1 + y}[/tex] = [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{dx}{1 + x}[/tex]

Which gives:

ln(x + 1) = ln(y + 1)

and so:

y = x

Does this work out?

Close, but you still need to remember the +C.

Damn, every time. A habit i need to get used to.

No real problem. You just have to make sure you do it.

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe how a quantity changes over time, based on the rate of change of that quantity.

2. Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are important because they are used to model real-world phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They allow us to make predictions and understand the behavior of complex systems.

3. What is the process for solving a differential equation?

The process for solving a differential equation involves first identifying the type of equation (e.g. linear, separable, exact) and then using various techniques, such as separation of variables, integration, or substitution, to find a solution that satisfies the given initial conditions.

4. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving differential equations?

While there are no shortcuts for solving differential equations, there are some techniques that can make the process easier. These include knowing how to recognize different types of equations, understanding the properties of different functions, and being familiar with common integration techniques.

5. How can I apply differential equations in my own research or work?

Differential equations can be applied in many different ways, depending on your field of study or work. Some common applications include modeling population growth, predicting the spread of diseases, analyzing chemical reactions, and understanding the behavior of electrical circuits. If you are unsure how to apply differential equations in your specific area, it is always helpful to consult with a colleague or seek out additional resources.