1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving Equations of Complex Numbers

1. Oct 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that (1+i) is a root of the equation z4=-4 and find the other roots in the form a+bi where (a) and (b) are real.

2. Relevant equations
    Using De Moivre's Theorem
    zn=[rn,nθ]
    Modulus(absolute value of z) = 4
    Argument = ???

3. The attempt at a solution

r4=4 → r = (4)^(1/5)
    argument(z) = ∏/4 (not sure if that was right....)

Let:
    [r4],5θ] = [4,2n∏ + ∏/4]

and then solve for the solutions for (n=-1,-2,1,2...im assuming to make it symmetrical)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2013 #2
    No.

Where is 1+i in the complex plane? You can draw it, then the absolute value is just [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] and the principle argument, [itex]\theta[/itex], is [itex]\pi/4[/itex] right? So then [itex]1+i=\sqrt{2} e^{\pi i/4}[/itex]. Now what do you get when you raise that expression to the fourth power?

And in general, when you have an expression [itex] z^n=-k[/itex], we obtain [itex]z=(-k)^{1/n}[/itex] and

[tex](-k)^{1/n}=k^{1/n}e^{i/n(\pi+2j\pi)}, \quad j=0,1,2,\cdots,n-1[/tex]

4. Oct 12, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Personally, I wouldn't bother with "polar form". The first part asks you to "Show that (1+i) is a root of the equation [itex]z^4=-4[/itex]". That, alone, does NOT ask you to solve the equation. You can "show that 'a' is a root of the equation f(x)= b" by evaluating f(a) and showing that it is 'b'. Here, if z= 1+ i then [itex]z^2= (1+ i)^2= 1^2+ 2(1)(i)+ i^2= 1+ 2i- 1= 2i[/itex]. Then [itex]z^4= ((1+ i)^2)^2= (2i)^2= -4[/itex].

You should also know that "if a+ bi is a root of a polynomial equation with real coefficients then the complex conjugate, a- bi is also a root". Having determined at 1+i is a root, we immediately know that 1- i is also a root. Knowing that 1+ i is a root, we know that z- (1+ i) is a factor of the polynomial [itex]z^4+ 4[/itex] and knowing that 1- i is a root, we know that z- (1- i) is a factor. That is, we can write [itex]z^4+ 4= (z- (1+i))(z- (1- i))P(x)[/itex].

But [itex](z- (1+i))(z- (1- i))= ((z- 1)- i)((z- 1)+ i)= (z- 1)^2- i^2= z^2- 2z+ 1- i^2= z^2- 2z+ 2[/itex] so that [itex]z^4+ 4= (z^2- 2z+ 2)P(z)[/itex]. Dividing [itex]z^4+ 4[/itex] by [itex]z^2- 2z+ 2[/itex] gives [itex]P(z)= z^2+ 2z+ 2[/itex]. Use the quadratic formula to solve [itex]P(z)= z^2+ 2z+ 2= 0[/itex].

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted