Solving equations simultaneously

In summary, the problem involves a primitive yo-yo with a massless string wrapped around a solid cylinder. The cylinder is released from rest and the string unwinds without slipping or stretching. The goal is to find the downward acceleration of the cylinder and the tension in the string. Necessary equations include ƩFy=Mg-T=Macm-y and Ʃτz=TR=Iαz, where I=1/2MR2 and a=αR. To solve the equations, α can be replaced with a/R in the second equation and then divided by R, resulting in an expression for T. This expression for T can then be substituted into the first equation, along with the value for I, to
jstevenson16
Problem:
You make a primitive yo-yo by wrapping a massless string around a solid cylinder of mass M and radius R. You hold the freee end of the string stationary and release the cylinder from rest. The string unwinds but does not slip of stretch as the cylinder descends and rotates. Find the downward acceleration of the cylinder and the tension in the string.

Necessary Equations/Attempt
I have so far found the translational and rotational forces to be as follows:
ƩFy=Mg-T=Macm-y
Ʃτz=TR=Iαz
I know that I=1/2MR2
and have determined that acm-y=Rαz

The issue I'm having is with solving the two equations simultaneously to find the target variables. Can anyone offer a guided explanation of how to do this or walk me through it? I have a final tomorrow and just realized I still can't figure it out. Any help is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
jstevenson16 said:
Problem:
You make a primitive yo-yo by wrapping a massless string around a solid cylinder of mass M and radius R. You hold the freee end of the string stationary and release the cylinder from rest. The string unwinds but does not slip of stretch as the cylinder descends and rotates. Find the downward acceleration of the cylinder and the tension in the string.

Necessary Equations/Attempt
I have so far found the translational and rotational forces to be as follows:
ƩFy=Mg-T=Macm-y
Ʃτz=TR=Iαz
I know that I=1/2MR2
and have determined that acm-y=Rαz

The issue I'm having is with solving the two equations simultaneously to find the target variables. Can anyone offer a guided explanation of how to do this or walk me through it? I have a final tomorrow and just realized I still can't figure it out. Any help is much appreciated!

Mg-T=Ma

TR=Iα

a=αR

You have these three equations. Replace α with a/R in the second equation, and divide by R. You get an expression for T. Substitute 1/2 MR2 for I. Substitute the expression for T in the first equation.

ehild

1. What does it mean to solve equations simultaneously?

Solving equations simultaneously means finding the values of variables that satisfy all of the given equations at the same time.

2. Why is solving equations simultaneously important?

Solving equations simultaneously is important because it allows us to find the intersection point(s) between multiple equations, which can provide valuable insights and solutions in various fields of science and mathematics.

3. What are some methods for solving equations simultaneously?

Some methods for solving equations simultaneously include substitution, elimination, and graphing. These methods use algebraic manipulation and mathematical properties to find the values of variables that satisfy all equations.

4. Can equations with more than two variables be solved simultaneously?

Yes, equations with more than two variables can be solved simultaneously. However, the number of equations should be equal to the number of variables in order to find a unique solution.

5. How can solving equations simultaneously be applied in real-life situations?

Solving equations simultaneously is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to find optimal solutions and make predictions. For example, it can be used to determine the optimal production levels for a company or to predict the trajectory of a projectile.